Chapter 2

“Wow Tess, Could that outfit make you look any fatter?”

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest, my shoes becoming very interesting.

“Nice to see you too Isabelle…”

My mom walked over to us and guided us towards the kitchen.

“Dinner’s ready, girls.”

Isabelle smiled at my mom and followed her while I still stared at my shoes.

“Not hungry, thanks anyways mom.”

“Tessa, don’t you dare go into your room. You will stay and mingle with your cousins. You need to start being more social.”

“I was actually going to go talk to Niall, isn’t that being social?”

Her face broke out into a grin and she looked like a teenager whose crush had asked her out.

“Mom, you okay?”

“Usual I would totally be against this but since it’s that Irish boy, go right ahead.”

I rolled my eyes at her and walked up to my bathroom, locking the door behind me. I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed. I lifted up my shirt and frowned at myself. I stepped on the scale and wanted to scream when the final weight came through.

Why would Niall pick me? Why not any of the other girls on instagram that tags him in their pictures? Even my cousins are all prettier and skinnier than me. I’ve always been the ugly one in the family. I know I am and they constantly remind me as well.

I heard my phone ring and I sighed before walking out of the bathroom and into my room. I searched for my phone in my bed and finally found it lodged in between all my pillows. The same number from earlier flashed across the screen and I realized I hadn’t put Niall’s contact into my phone. I hit accept and within seconds Niall’s face was on the screen. Niall smiled at me and I waved trying my best to smile back. Once again he frowned and sighed.

“Are you finally going to tell me what’s wrong?”

I sighed and shook my head, plastering a smile on my face.

“Nothing’s wrong, Ni. Now tell me what the boy’s reactions were to the spoon trick!”

Niall immediately laughed and began telling me how the boys were so amazed they tried forcing Niall to teach them but he wouldn’t since it was our thing. I smiled at the fact he had called it our thing but I still couldn’t shake the feeling of not being good enough.

“Why did you do it, Niall?”

He looked at me, utterly confused.

“Do what, Tess?”

“Why did you comment on my picture when there were a million other girls you could answer instead?”

He shrugged and smiled.

“I already told you. I wanted to know how to dangle a spoon on my nose.”

I frowned. That made me feel even worse than I already did. He really did only want me to learn that stupid trick. Why wouldn’t he just look it up then?

“Look, Tess, I know that makes me seem like I just used you and I really didn’t want to get to know you but that’s not it at all. To be completely honest, I stalked your instagram for quite a while after that first comment. Yeah I only saw your profile because the fucking amazing spoon on your nose but I wouldn’t have gotten your number if I only cared about that. I could have easily looked it up on YouTube but you seemed fun to talk to and I wanted to get to know you better. Not to mention you’re fucking gorgeous.”