³ ⁻ ʰᵒᵐᵉ.

³ ⁻ ʰᵒᵐᵉ.

I dried the dishes, placing them up in the cabinets. Mattie, our "maid", was washing the dishes, and I was helping her out. She said I didn't have to, but I didn't mind. Everyone needed help once in a while, and Mattie was going to receive my help whether she liked it or not. I had just finished dinner, so Mattie didn't have many dishes to wash. It was quiet between us, and I didn't mind the silence, as it was calming. Just as we finished the dishes, my parents walked through the door, both of them tired from a long day at work. My parents were lawyers, and they owned a law firm, where they got tons of cases to handle almost everyday. They were known for being some of the best lawyers here, so people as far away as Japan called for their help. 

With them being lawyers, it's obvious that they don't really have enough time for me. I don't mind, though, as Mattie's here for me. While Mom and Dad were in trials, trying to prove a case, Mattie was here, teaching me how to make my own food. I remember them missing out on a few important events..like award ceremonies, birthdays. My friends wish that they had my parents, while I wish that I had theirs. Their parents were there for almost everything..when mine aren't. But I simply shrugged it off - or at least - tried my best to. 

"How was school, sweetie?" Mom asked, kissing my forehead. I gave her a small smile, briefly looking at her, "It was fine." I turned around, realizing that she wasn't even listening to me, she was too busy talking to Dad. I sighed, placing the dish cloth down. Sometimes, I just wish that they would listen for once, but they're so busy so it's guaranteed not to happen. Mattie rubbed my back, giving me a sad smile. "You can tell me how your day was, baby." I gave her a fake smile, "I'm fine, Mattie. I'll just go finish up the rest of my homework." She nodded, and I walked out the kitchen, to the stairs. The stairs were covered with a long, burgundy carpet, and it went down the middle of the stairs. It went well with the dark cherry wood, and I ran my fingertips along the banister.

Reaching the top of the stairs, I turned down the hall. My room was at the very end, and I pushed open the door, closing it behind me. Being greeted by the soft, calm ambiance of my room, I collapsed on my bed. The huge window on the wall to my right let in enormous amounts of light, the sun outside beginning to set. Tying my curls into a make-shift ponytail, staring up at the ceiling, I sighed softly. 

Monroe.

That was her name.

A smile crept across my face as the familiar images came flooding back, filling my mind with her beautiful features. Her name suited her well, and it rolled off my tongue ever so easily. She was even more beautiful up close, and I hoped that I would get to see more of her pretty face. I wonder what she was doing now? 

Homework?

Helping around the house?

The possibilities are endless. 

I wonder if she had any siblings? I was an only child, so my friends were really my "siblings". I wonder if she had a good home? Was her house big, like mine? My family and I lived in one of the biggest houses in the neighborhood, where everyone had vast front yards, big enough to have a huge birthday party. I sat up, reaching over the side of my bed. I pulled my binder out of my bag, opening it up. I had some leftover math homework to do, but I didn't really feel like finishing it. It wasn't going to get taken up, so it was really no use in doing it. 

"Josiah!"

Getting off the bed, I came to my door, opening it. Mom stood there, still in her pantsuit from work. She gave me a smile, caressing my face. I noticed another set of wrinkles on her tan cheeks, and I sighed inwardly. Soon, her face was going to be full of wrinkles. I always suggest to take a break, but it goes in one ear and out the other. "Could you run to the store for Mattie? She needs a few things for dinner tomorrow." She handed me a small list, and I nodded. "Can you also get me some aspirin? I have a killer headache." I tucked the grocery list into my pocket. 

She kissed my forehead, and I watched her walk down the hallway, and probably to her office, where she would work even harder. I turned back to my room, slipping on my white Air Forces. I closed the door to my room behind me, and descended down the stairs, taking a set of car keys off the hook. I then headed into the garage, and turned on the light, the bright lights above my head bouncing off all of the cars. Being from a rich family came with the several perks, and one of these perks was having several cars to choose from. Well, Mom and Dad did - I just had a Jaguar. I drove it around every once in a while, just for the thrill of it. 

Unlocking the car, I got in, getting myself situated. Starting up the car, I opened he garage, pulling out into the driveway. I closed the garage as I began to pull off into the street, and soon enough, I was on my way. It didn't take me long to pull up to the store, and I had no trouble finding a parking spot, as most of the lot was empty. It wasn't a gigantic store, but it was big. It was kind of out of place here, as this was some sort of Mom and Pop store, while the other stores around it were franchises. 

Upon entering the store, a little bell at the top of the door went off, signaling that I had entered. The woman at the cashier smiled at me, and I gave her a polite smile, turning down the aisle. I dug the grocery list out of my pocket, scanning it. Mattie needed noodles, and spaghetti sauce, while Mom needed some aspirin. I decided to go ahead and get me some chips, and I went ahead and got the spaghetti noodles. Taking a left, I began to look for the sauce Mattie had asked for. 

I froze.

I looked around, trying to force my legs to get moving, but I was unable to. That familiar, queazy feeling in my stomach returned, and I felt like I was going to burn to a crisp. I began to tremble, and I was screaming inside. 

Monroe.

She was in this fucking aisle.

She was trying to reach up to get a can of green beans off the shelf, but it was obvious that it wasn't going to work out for her. Suddenly, my legs began to move, in her direction. Before I could stop myself, I was right up on her. Her warm vanilla scent invaded my nose, and I already knew what was going to happen. She looked at me, and a smile spread across her face, that fucking smile that threatened to make me explode. 

"Josiah..I'm so glad that you're here!" She still had that smile on her face, and I wanted to faint. I was given no assurance that I would be seeing her, and here I was, standing right in front of her. I was trying to get over the inital shock, but I couldn't get over that she had remembered me. She remembered my name.

"Could you reach up and get me two of those cans?" She asked sweetly, sending chills throughout my body. I would drop anything and everything I was doing for her. I was sure of that. I nodded, and set the packages of noodles on the ground. Getting the two cans of green beans, I started to notice that a glass jar of pickles was beginning to tip over. I moved Monroe out of the way as it fell, the jar breaking open from it's fall.

"Well shit.." I mumbled. 

I felt Monroe's hand on my side, and I felt weak. My legs felt like jelly. I did my best to hold back a whimper, and I turned around to face Monroe. Other people in the aisle had all eyes on us, and I sighed. One of the worker's came around, looking me up and down. "You're going to have to pay fo' that," The woman said, placing her manicured hand on her hip. Monroe bit her lip, "I'll pay for that.."  I shook my head, placing the cans of green beans in her cart. "I'll pay for it, don't worry," I assured her. She released her bottom lip, and I smiled. 

"Thank you," she said, and placed her hand against my chest. I swear, my heart skipped a beat. 

"Y-You're w-w-welcome," I stuttered, embarassing myself. I was talking fine just a minute ago, now I'm back to tripping over my words. 

She nodded, and I watched as she turned around, heading on down the aisle. 

I watched her in longing, waiting untill she turned the corner to move.