Chapter 30

When Saturday rolled around, Emma was getting ready for Ruth's funeral. David was already at the funeral home. He had insisted of taking care of everything relating to the funeral. He knew that Emma would be too upset about it, so he thought that if he held all the reins, things would get done sooner. Emma didn't argue with him. She wasn't sure if she would be able to deal with all of the events of the funeral. Killian was also at her apartment getting ready. Even though he didn't know Ruth, he offered to come along.

Emma and David had met with Ruth's lawyer earlier in the week to discuss the matter of the will. They got everything that was in their names from Ruth, then they had sorted through the rest of her belongings to get rid of some things, or to keep some of her things. Emma was still preparing herself to let go of her mother. It didn't even feel like she was gone. She was looking at herself in the mirror when she saw Killian come up behind her. He wrapped his arms around her from behind and he rested his head on her shoulder. She sighed contently and he peppered kisses on her neck.

"It will be okay, love." He whispered.

"I know. Thank you for coming with me. David and Mary Margaret will be hanging on each other the entire time. I didn't want to be left alone with that."

"We can hang on each other." He chuckled, making a small smile form on her face.

"You're so cute." She turned around draped her arms around his neck.

"No, no, Swan. I am devilishly handsome. Not cute."

She shook her head with amusement, then connected his lips to hers. When they pulled apart, they both left Emma's apartment and went out to her car. She drove them to the funeral home where more people were gathered. David and Mary Margaret were already there, as were their distant relatives. Killian held onto her hand tightly as the roamed through the building. Ruth's body was in the casket at the front of the room, surrounded by flowers. The lid was open, and she was dressed in a white dress with her lucky necklace around her neck. Emma paused just short of the room, hesitating to cross the threshold. She tightened her grip on Killian's hand and walked in. So many people were in the room, but there was one person who stood out to both Emma and Killian.

"What's he doing here?" Emma asked, turning to Killian.

"I don't know. I'll get rid of him." He started to walk over, but she put a hand on his chest.

"I'll go talk to him. Stay here." She kissed his cheek and went over to the other side of the room where Neal stood. She crossed her arms over her chest. "What are you doing here, Neal?"

"Emma, I was hoping I'd run into you." He said. "I'm sorry about your loss."

"Why are you here?" She asked again, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I wanted to pay my respects. I knew Ruth too."

"She hated you too. You may as well leave."

Neal glanced around the room when his eyes suddenly stopped behind her. She didn't have to look behind her to know that he was staring at Killian. She suddenly felt a hand on her lower back.

"Mr. Cassidy." Killian said smoothly.

"I should have known you'd move on so quickly." Neal scoffed.

"It was a few weeks after we broke up that I went out with him. Look, I don't want to fight. I suggest you leave before David sees you here." Emma told him, wrapping her hand around Killian's arm. "I appreciate you coming here and paying your respects, but I think it would be best if you left."

Neal nodded. "It was good to see you again, Emma." He nodded to Killian. "Mr. Jones."

Emma and Killian watched as Neal walked out of the room. David came rushing in a few moments later, staring suspiciously at Killian, but then changing his gaze to Emma. "Was that Neal I just saw who left?"

"Yeah. He said he wanted to pay his respects or whatever, but we both know that he just wanted to see me again, knowing I would be here." Emma said with a sigh.

"Well, he better not show up again. I will beat his ass." David said, making her laugh.

"I'll help you." Killian cut in. He held his hand out for David to shake. "I don't believe we've met. I'm Killian Jones."

David glared at Killian. "You!" He raised his fist up and punched Killian in the nose, catching some people's attentions around the room.

"David!" Emma cried, working her way in between the two.

"No, no, Swan, I deserved it. I'm sure we both know why." Killian mumbled, holding his nose.

"If I find out that you hurt my sister again, I will kill you."

"Point taken." Killian smiled. "It's nice to meet you too."

David rolled his eyes and walked away. Killian led Emma to the front row of seats and they sat down, waiting for the service to begin. Once it did and everyone was seated, the preacher said a few prayers and then David went up to speak a few words about Ruth.

"My mother was a wonderful woman. She was well loved and loved everyone else. She had a big heart. She was very strong about everything in her life. She always made sure I knew I was loved. Even with the terrible events that life sometimes throws at us, we have to stay strong, just as my mother did." David quickly stepped down and Mary Margaret held out her hand and he sat down next to her.

Killian nudged Emma's shoulder and she slowly stood up and made her way to the front of the room. "Ruth Nolan adopted me when I was a kid. She gave me what I had always wanted. She gave me love, a home, a family. She was a strong woman, and I learned from the best. She will be dearly missed, but her memory will live on through us all. She was a mother, a friend, and a wife. And I will never forget all the good memories that she gave me." Emma rushed back to her seat and Killian wasted no time in wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

The preacher said a few more prayers and everyone got up to pay their final respects. After that, they all went out to their cars to go to the cemetery, where Ruth's coffin was put in the ground and she was finally laid to rest.