Chapter 20

As Emma was driving to work the next morning, and her phone rang. It was the special ringtone she had picked for David. She smiled as she reached into her purse and reached blindly for the phone. She swiped the answer button over.

"Hi, David." She said happily. "To what do I owe the pleasure of you calling at such an hour?"

"Emma." He said in a broken voice. Her smile faded instantly. "It's mom. Something's happened. I'm on my way to the hospital now. Meet me there?"

"Of course. Oh my God." Emma made a U-turn and sped down the road to get to the hospital. "I'll be there in twenty minutes. I have to call my boss, but I'll be there as soon as I can." She hung up and glanced between the road and her phone as she dialed Killian's phone number. He picked up immediately.

"Good morning, Swan. I hope I didn't scare you away yesterday." He said as he picked up.

"No, you didn't." She sniffed as tears threatened to fall. "I can't come in today."

"Why not? I was planning to take you to lunch with me and Liam."

"My mom is in the hospital. I don't know what's wrong, but I'm on my way now, and I just can't come in today."

"Hey, don't worry about it. I hope everything will turn out okay. Call me when you get the chance, alright?"

"Okay." Emma quickly agreed. "I'll see you later."

"Bye, love."

She hung up and drove the rest of the way to the hospital. She ran as fast as she could in her heels to the door where David was pacing in the lobby nervously. He looked up as she walked in and he quickly walked over to her and hugged her.

"How is she?" Emma asked, adjusting her purse on her shoulder.

"I don't know. Her neighbors called the police when they heard a crashing noise in her apartment and they found her on the floor. She collapsed. She was rushed here and they called me. They asked if they wanted me to let them call you, but I told them that I'd let you know."

"She's a strong woman. I'm sure she'll be fine."

"I hope you're right." He went to sit down and Emma sat beside him.

They sat in the lobby of the emergency room for what felt like hours before they were called. A man in a lab coat stood with a clipboard in his hand. He looked up at Emma and David as they walked to him.

"What's wrong with her?" David asked, biting his nails nervously.

"We found a blood clot in her lung." He said. The name tag on his coat read Dr. Robert Chase. He looked up at the two. "There is a chance that it can break free and move to her brain. There isn't anything we can do to get it out ourselves without endangering her lungs. We have to hope that it dissolves on its own."

"Hope? You're hoping it will fix itself?" David asked angrily.

"David, there's nothing they can do." Emma said, putting her hand on his shoulder. "Can we see her?" She asked the doctor.

"Yeah. No problem. Follow me." They traveled the hospital hallways until they got to Ruth's room. She was by herself. "Some nurses will be in and out, monitoring her."

Emma and David went in while Dr. Chase walked away. Ruth was hooked up to a bunch of machines but was watching a soap opera on the tv. She looked up as the two adults walked in. She adjusted the bed so she was sitting up. David sat in one of the chairs on her left while Emma sat in the other on her right side.

"How are you doing, mom?" David asked, taking her hand.

"Oh, I'm alright." Ruth said. She turned to Emma. "I hope I didn't cause you two kids a scare."

"Of course you did." Emma said, but she forced a smile. "But, as long as you are okay, it's fine."

"I love you both. I hope you know that."

"Mom, don't." Emma said sternly. "You're going to be fine."

"I've been keeping something from you both." She said. She grabbed one of their hands, while darting her head between the two. "I've been dealing with this for awhile. It's not the first time. Doctors prescribed medicine, but these things kept coming back. It will only be a matter of time before this kills me."

"Why didn't you tell us?" David asked with tears in his eyes.

"I didn't want you to worry." Ruth turned to Emma. She cupped her cheek. "Adopting you was the best decision I ever made, and I'm glad that I was able to make memories with you." She smiled weakly and turned to David. "My boy. You have grown up to be a strong man. I am so proud of who you've become. Both of you. When it's my time to go, don't hold on. Let me go. I'll always be with you."

"But that day isn't today."

"Maybe not, but soon, it will be." She wiped her tears away and sighed with a small smile. "Have I mentioned how much I hate hospitals?"

Emma and David both laughed and sat back in their chairs. They sat with Ruth until visiting hours were over and they were shooed out of the room. They both went down to their cars.

"I don't know what's going to happen when she passes on, David. I never let myself think much of it before, but now, that's the only thing going around in my head." Emma confessed.

"I know, Em. But, we all die eventually. One day, they will invent things to prevent death. But, sadly, that's not today. Death is apart of life."

"I just don't want it to happen yet. I'm not ready to say goodbye."

"We still have time left. She loves us, and will until her last breath. She will live on through us." David kissed her forehead. "I have to go, but if you need anything, don't hesitate to call me."

Emma nodded. "Bye, David."

They went their separate ways and left the hospital.