Chapter 21

Emma's phone began ringing as soon as she walked into her apartment. She put her laptop case, purse, and keys on the counter and stepped out of the high heels she had been in all day. She sighed as she searched her bag for her phone. When she grabbed it, she saw Killian's name flashing on the screen. She glanced over to the clock on the stove that read 8:15.

"Hi, Killian." She said exhaustively as she fell to the couch.

"Hi? Why didn't you call me? I've been so worried!" He shouted at her through the phone.

"I was busy spending time with my mother. That's a little more important than calling you and telling you how she has been." Emma snapped back.

"I'm not worried about that. I was worried about you! How you were handling the information, what doctors were there flirting with you-"

Emma cut him off. "You were worried that a doctor was going to hit on me?"

"Of course I was! We are in a relationship, Emma. I should know if I can trust you around other men."

"If you can't trust me, then how is this going to work out between us?"

He sighed. "Did you flirt with anyone?"

"Yes, Killian. I did." She said sarcastically. "As a matter of fact, I have my mother's doctor right here in my apartment! He's naked on my bed, waiting for me to join him."

"Emma." He warned.

"What?"

"You have no idea what game you're playing at right now."

"You're acting like such a child. If this relationship is going to work between us, you need to have a little faith in me, and you have to trust me. I'm not going out to meet other men behind your back. I promise."

"Aye, you're right. I'm sorry. Forgive me?"

"Of course I can forgive you, Killian. Just, please don't jump to conclusions like that again."

"I'll try not to. You are just so damn beautiful. I had a hard time trying to keep my hands off you while you were with Neal. I know what other men can be capable of. I don't want to lose you."

"You won't. I happen to like you too."

"I'll let you go. I'm really sorry."

"It's okay." She said. "I'll see you tomorrow. Maybe go out to lunch with you like we were supposed to today?"

"Sounds perfect. Goodnight."

"Night."

Emma hung up and sighed as she threw her phone on the couch beside her. Did Killian really think that she was out, flirting with other men, instead of spending time with her sick mother? Did he really have such little faith in her? Did this mean that Milah was right about his possessiveness? She groaned as she felt a headache attacking her. She really didn't want to add the stress that was bubbling to the surface in her relationship to the stress she already had about her mother. Family came first, so in the meantime, she would push Killian to the back of her mind.

The next day, Emma went into work, only to find Killian standing in her office, gazing out the window. She cleared her throat and shut the door, and he turned to her. He didn't move and neither did she. He was too afraid that any sudden moves would startle her.

"Morning." Emma finally spoke as she made her way to the desk. "What can I do for you, Mr. Jones?"

"You don't need to call me that, Swan. Not while we are alone." He finally walked over to her and hugged her. "I wanted to apologize for last night. I know I already apologized, but I don't want you to be mad at me."

"I'm not mad, Killian. It's okay." She pulled away and draped her arms around his neck. "Just stop apologizing, okay?"

Killian nodded and Emma leaned up to kiss him gently. "I hope it's okay that Liam will be joining us at lunch."

"That's fine." She faked a smile. Her hands ran down his arms. "I don't think he likes me very much."

"Well we'll just have to change his mind and show him how amazing you are." He leaned down to kiss her again.

"Go get to work." She pushed on his shoulder.

"Aye, aye, captain." He saluted her and she laughed. He kissed her one last time and left the office.

Emma worked until lunch when Killian knocked on the door. He opened it and smiled sweetly at her. She could see a figure of a man behind him standing in the hallway. Her heart was suddenly in her throat. After what Liam told her to do the other day, she knew he wouldn't be too happy seeing her with Killian. She stood up from the desk and closed her laptop and grabbed her purse. She greeted Killian with a kiss and shut the office door behind her.

"What are you guys feeling for lunch?" Emma asked as she wrapped her hands around Killian's arms.

"Your heart's desire, Swan." He said.

"I think we should let Liam pick. He is visiting after all."

"Very kind, lass." He said mockingly, although she was sure Killian didn't hear it in his brother's voice. "Pizza?"

"Wonderful." Killian said. "We can take my car."

"I'll follow you. I'm sure you and your brother have some catching up to do."

"Swan, we can go together-"

"That's alright, Killian. I'll just follow you."

They walked to the elevator together and went out to their cars. She could hear the brothers talking amongst themselves and she felt like a third wheel. But, she didn't say anything as she got in her car and waited for him to pull out of the parking lot. When he did, she followed behind him. She could see the silhouettes of them talking and laughing, and it brought a smile to her face, but also dread. What if Liam convinced Killian to break up with her? She was finally happy. More happy then she ever thought she could be, and she didn't want anything to take that away from her.