Chapter 31

"okay!" i scream as bunnymund scenes interrupt my thought processes in the middle of class. my teacher gives me a funny look, even though he can't hear my internal dialogue. maybe he's a mind reader. "fine! i know i need to update! fml" 

You sped over forests and across valleys, through mountain ranges and above clouds. Using the light teleportation would only put more darkness into your heart. So you let your instincts drive you, pulling you towards the soul of that immortal being whom you were trying desperately not to hate. But... Were you going in circles?

You came to a stop on the peak of a large mountain when your heart started beating wildly. Were you exhausted, or was it Cupid's heart beating with yours? It was uncomfortable to think of Cupid, pursuing Bunny the way she had. And for what? She loved Jack, didn't she? 

Looking for someone, (Y/N)? Phaedrus's voice broke into your thought process. 

"Leave me alone!" you screamed to the empty air. Your breath echoed in clouds. You knew he could hear you. 

I have your little friend. Meet me.

"Where?" 

Shadows enveloped you, and suddenly you were in the midst of a cave. No, a castle. 

Phaedrus's castle. 

"Don't you love it?" 

The walls were black, adorned with shadowy vines and haunting paintings of gruesomely chaotic scenes. The floor was a black-and-grey checker board pattern, and you could swear there were creatures moving between the tiles. From the ceiling a chandelier hung, with candles that emitted a dull, grey light. 

"Where... Where did all this come from?" 

"It's my creation. I couldn't possibly let you have all the fun, now, could I?" 

"W-Why?" 

"I needed somewhere to keep you once you'd gotten powerful enough." 

Your stomach dropped. He was going to keep you here. 

"Where's Cupid?" you demanded, forcing assertiveness into your tone. 

"Did you enjoy my wild goose chase? I thought it was rather cute. I mean, after all she did to you and your Bunnymund... You still came after her." His voice was practically a purr; and it echoed about the place. And finally you knew what it felt like to be scared of him. "Maybe there's still light left in you after all..." 

"Let her go. She's no use to you now, you know that." 

"Pitch used her just fine." 

You couldn't see him anymore; he'd drifted back into the shadows. You continued, "But you have me now. You and I both know I'm much more use to you..." 

His voice was inquisitive. "Yes... You are..." 

Cupid was laid down gently next to you, which undermined Phaedrus's usual treatment of the fellow immortals. He hadn't hurt her - hadn't even touched her, as far as you could tell. But she was scared of both you and Phaedrus, and she stared up at you with fear. 

For a moment, you were tempted to leave her like that. To let Phaedrus keep her here, to take her as your own prisoner. That would give you leverage, and it'd teach her a lesson about trying to take your Bunnymund...

You knelt down next to her. "Are you okay?" 

"F-Fine..." 

You looked around in another attempt to catch a glimpse of Phaedrus, but you saw nothing. So you flashed a forcefield around the two of you and did your best to imagine that it was soundproof. 

"What did he do to you?" you asked. 

"H-He... He tried to get me to make you love him." 

You almost wanted to believe that all Phaedrus wanted was love, a family. But after all he'd put you through - everyone through - that didn't seem possible. And getting you to love him would only give him more power, because then you'd be on his side. 

"Where's your bow?" 

"I hid it," she said quietly. 

You bit your lip and put your hand on her shoulder, trying to calm her down. She was terrified,  shaking and shifting her gaze. "I'm going to get you out of here, okay? Jack's in Santoff Claussen, he - " 

"I can't see him again, (Y/N)." 

"Why... Why not?" 

"Because of... W-What I did to you, a-and Bunny..." 

"Jack's forgiving, Cupid. He'll still love you." 

"But I don't love him." 

You looked down. There was something she wasn't saying. "Why did you do that? With Bunny, I mean." 

"I can't feel... I-I can't feel..." She cleared her throat. "I can't feel romantically with anyone anymore. I-I thought that trying with someone else would make me feel something - anything!" Se took a deep breath. "But it didn't..." 

"It's okay, Cupid. It's okay not to love the same way as everyone else." 

"But I'm Cupid! Do you know how hard it is to do this damn job when I can't feel what I'm making others feel?" 

"Cupid..." You took her hands. "I have to finish this... Finish Phaedrus. Afterwards, I'm going to help you, okay? But for now, I'm sending you to Jack. You don't have to talk to him, you don't even have to look at him. You'll be safe with him, with all the Guardians. I promise you... Everything is going to be fine." 

She stared at you for a moment, then nodded. You drew the magic from the forcefield around you, then opened a pillar and gently pushed her into it. She disappeared in an instant, and you heard quiet laughter echo about the place. 

Looking around the castle, you began to fear that you'd already broken your promise to Cupid. Everything was not going to be fine.