Chapter 12

He was pale. Sweat spattered his forehead and cheeks, glistening when he moved. He was still trembling. He looked like he had a bad case of the flu.

"What... What're you doing here, little mate?" he asked. His voice was hoarse.

"You're hurt, Bunny," you murmured, moving slowly towards the bed. You were afraid of what he might do if he were to go back to that crazed state you'd found him in. "I'm here to take care of you."

He reached for your hand, but you pulled it away instinctively. You bit your lip and looked down. His pained expression was enough to break your heart.

"What's wrong?" he asked quietly.

You couldn't bring yourself to say anything. 

"That dream... Wasn't a dream, was it?" 

You shook your head. It's not like he had hurt you - not really, anyway - just scared you. But you still felt your throat sting and your heart beat faster. 

"Little mate..." 

"It wasn't you, I know," you said quickly. You sat down on the edge of the bed and took his hand carefully. "What happened to you?" 

He laid back down on the bed, his eyes on you. "I don't know, I don't..." 

"I'm here now, Bunny," you promised. "I'm going to protect you." 

He closed his eyes and said nothing. You ran your thumb along his knuckles, then kissed the back of his hand gently. 

"I'm sorry, Bunny," you whispered. "I'm sorry I left." 

"You had reason to." 

"No, I was selfish. If you wouldn't choose me over someone else, I understand." 

He opened his eyes and sat up on one elbow. "But I would, little mate. I would choose you." 

"You said - " 

"I was afraid. I was afraid of... Of not being good enough for you. I want you to be happy." 

You ran your fingers across his lips, feeling his light breath against your skin. Then you leaned over him and pressed your lips to his. You'd missed it more than you expected.

"I love you," you said. 

"I love you, too." 

You laid down on the bed next to him and wrapped your arms around his waist, resting your head on his chest. He wrapped you in a tight embrace in return. 

"Did you do this bruising to yourself?" you asked, running your hand down his arm. 

He sounded ashamed. "Yeah." 

"Why?" 

He swallowed and examined his arm. "I've been having nightmares... More like trances or hallucinations. I see things that aren't there. Hurting myself was the only way to get them to go away, to get me to snap out of them." 

"Why didn't you come find me?" you asked. 

"You wanted to be alone." 

"If you were having such terrible nightmares, I would have understood. Besides, I was stupid to think that a break from you would do anything good." 

"From what I heard, you discovered something wonderful." 

"And who told you that?" 

"Ombric." 

You smiled. "I have a brother." 

"Aiden, yeah?" 

"Yeah, how'd you know?"