Chapter 30

i'm assuming that the majority of the readers on this story have also read its prequel, "Ticking Time Bomb". well, that story just hit 30k reads and i just wanted to take a moment to thank every single one of you who was a fan of that book before this one. this story would not have been written and that story might not have even gotten finished if it wasn't for you guys supporting my work. thank you all so, so much. i love you guys. 

Bunnymund watched as the love of his immortal life disappeared. He knew, somehow, that she was before him, crying at the loss of belief in the broken Pooka. But he couldn't believe in someone who was now no better than the Guardian of Discord himself. 

He let out an agonized wail as Jack appeared through the portal again. 

"Bunny, what're you doing?!" the snow spirit screamed above roaring wind and blasts of shadows being fired above him. "Come on, we have to keep you safe!" 

"It doesn't bloody matter anymore, Jack!" Bunny screamed back. 

"She'll never come back if you don't at least try!" Jack pulled the Pooka to his feet. "What happened to hope?!" 

"She's not coming back!" Bunny cried. 

Jack shoved his friend through the portal and risked a glance over his shoulder. Mother Nature was surrounded by shadows, all there by her own doing. The snow spirit paused for a moment, took a deep breath, then blew it out. Across the Workshop, things began to freeze. It was a preservation spell he'd learned from Ombric. While it might not keep the shadows from destroying everything, it could certainly aid in the defense thereof. 

Mother Nature spawned a lion made of shadows, then unleashed it on Phaedrus. The older villain cowered slightly, but began a spell to create something to counteract the huge cat. 

The girl sped from the sky towards Jack. She pushed him through the portal, then dove through it herself just as the last of it spiraled into oblivion. 

You tumbled through the portal and landed on your shoulder next to Jack. He rubbed leaves from his hair, then sat back on his heels and cocked his head. You did likewise, tossing your hair over your shoulder and straightening your dress before sinking down in the grassy forest floor. 

"Where are we?" you asked. 

"Santoff Claussen," he replied.

You nodded. Santoff Claussen was safe, and you could put a forcefield around it as well if need be. Ombric was good with magic - he could create protection spells or potions. And North had spent a majority of his young life here; this was where he'd learned his own powers as a wizard and Guardian. 

Sandy was doing his best to comfort a sobbing Bunnymund, who, though he stared right at you, couldn't even see a glimmer of you. Tooth was drawing her fairies around her, sending you wary glances. North was rubbing his head as if it hurt. 

"A-Are you hurt, North?" you asked quietly. 

He looked up at you, then looked away quickly. "Fine." 

"L-Let me help you," you offered, stepping towards him. 

He stepped backwards. "Really, Mother Nature. It is okay." 

You thought back to the day he'd thought that you and Bunny were getting married. The joy he'd expressed, how he'd been so encouraging and trusting...

"You're hurt," you stated as he drew his hand for his forehead, where a gash had been placed. Blood trickled from it, dribbling down onto his brow. "I can heal you." 

"You've gone dark, (Y/N)!" Tooth blurted. "You can't heal anymore!"

Pitch cleared his throat. "Toothiana, she's still capable of all she was before." 

"Darkness doesn't mend things, it destroys them!" Tooth cried. "We've all seen it done before. Look at you, Pitch! You're supposed to be on our side, but you still have enough darkness in you for Phaedrus to use you as a vessel!" 

"It's not his fault, Tooth," you protested. 

"What about you, (Y/N)?! Is it your fault that you went dark?" 

It was surprisingly easy to admit to it. "Yes." 

"Well - ! Wait, what?" 

You looked down. "I wanted to give into the darkness. I knew I'd be more powerful, knew I'd be able to defeat Phaedrus with that magic. Taking Bunny's boomerangs, Jack's staff? I wanted it. I wanted it so bad. And I wasn't just to protect you guys, or Aiden, or the children. It's like a game... I just keep collecting power. And it's what drives me." 

"(Y/N)..." Pitch murmured. 

"I can control it, but I choose not to," you continued. "Bunny doesn't believe in me anymore... I thought that would stop me, but it only makes me want it more." 

"Now, I'm Mother Nature. I'm stronger than all of you, and I can defeat Phaedrus. So please... Believe in me."

North was nodding. "We will always believe in you, Mother Nature." 

You looked at the Pooka, whose head was hanging. His ears were so low you thought they could fall off, and he had let down any former sense of guardedness. You wondered how long it would be until he was so weak that he couldn't keep his Pooka form. Would he still change to a human, or a normal rabbit? Or would he just... Die?

Your voice was hoarse: "Apparently Bunny couldn't."  

Jack put his hand on your shoulder. It was then that you thought of Cupid. 

"Where's Cupid?" you asked him quickly. 

"Cupid? S-She's... Why do you wanna know?" 

"I need to talk to her," you said. 

"You can find her, it's not that hard. I couldn't tell you an exact location, but she's usually near the woods close to my cottage." 

"Thanks, Jack," you said quickly, spreading your wings. You jumped into the air. "Let me know if Phaedrus tries to hurt anyone!" 

And with that, you were off.