Chapter 20

i have so much to do before i start school tomorrow but i'm still writing bunnymund. also i found the bEST BUNNYMUND PHONE CASE ON REDBUBBLE but i'm broke :( still might get it tho lol

Jack pulled you from your thoughts by taking your hand. "C'mon, you gotta help me with this." 

You smiled and followed him. The kids seemed to exist in swarms, scampering in front of you and playing hide-and-seek behind your dress. There were so many that you found yourself walking slowly, taking in everything while at the same time making sure you didn't step on anyone. 

"Jack, Jack!" 

You looked up from an art project to see a little girl running towards Jack, her face distraught. 

"Jack, I got hurt," she cried. 

Jack knelt down immediately. He gingerly took her arm and examined a small scratch on her forearm. It was red and swollen, but not bleeding. 

"That's a bit of a problem, isn't it, Snowflake?" 

She nodded and sniffed. "It hurts." 

"My friend Mother Nature is really good at healing things," Jack said, and you were caught off guard. He glanced up at you, and you felt alarm flare in your stomach. He was serious. What was he talking about? 

He took your hand and pulled you down to the ground. 

"Mother Nature?" the girl was asking, looking in your direction but not at you. She couldn't see you; she didn't believe. 

"Mhm," Jack replied. He moved your hand over the girl's arm. 

"Jack, I can't heal her," you said quietly. 

"You can. Just believe." 

"Jack - " 

His eyes were vibrant, and you would never forget his words: "Ombric's favorite spell is two simple words: 'I believe'. You wouldn't want to let anyone down, would you?" 

You didn't know who he was talking about, but you looked back at the little girl. You were skeptic, and yet it seemed impossible that it wouldn't work. Jack spoke as if it was fact, and he was surprisingly wise for what he seemed. Slowly, you lifted your hand and waved it over her arm. I believe, you thought. I believe...

You hadn't realized that you'd closed your eyes, but you found yourself opening them. What you saw was oddly not surprising: Any evidence of the scratch on her arm was gone. 

"All better?" you asked quietly, to yourself as much as it was to her. You met her gaze. Her brown eyes were suddenly lively and excited. She looked like someone who had just seen a Yeti after years of believing in Bigfoot despite the odds.

"Whoa," she squeaked. 

You waved your hand to reveal a small pink flower. You handed it to her, and she gasped. Children are impressionable, you noted, and stood up. 

"Thank you," she breathed, fingering the flower gingerly. 

"You're welcome," you said, smiling. 

"You're a natural," Jack commented as the girl turned and walked away. She was cradling the flower against her chest as if it was the rarest treasure in all the world. 

"It's my job, I guess." 

He kept walking, gesturing for you to follow. You hurried after him. 

"Johnny stops by sometimes," he said, sending a snowdrift under a couple of kids who were sledding nearby. They flew into the air, then landed in another mound of snow.