Chapter 26

"(Y/N), dear, please don't mope about so much. It really is depressing."

"I'm tired of you hanging around here all the time," you snapped at him.

His hand came down on your shoulder. "It's not like I've killed any of your Guardians... Yet."

"Don't lay a hand on any of them," you commanded.

He sat next to you. "I'm afraid it may be too late for that."

You didn't feel anything but a heavy sense of loneliness. Overlooking the hills that rolled out before you, it was all you could do not to stand up and jump from the cliff, unfurl your wings and feel the breeze through the feathers, leave this place... But if you did that, Phaedrus would hurt someone.

"Believe me, Mother Nature. I only want the best for you."

"No... You don't. You don't even know what's best for me."

"Really?" The voice turned teasing. "You sure about that, little mate?"

You looked up at him and found Bunny's smiling face next to yours. You put your hands on his cheeks, knowing it wasn't him but wishing it was.

"Please stop," you whispered. "I just want Bunny back."

"I know," he said. His face shifted, and you drew your fingers away. "Mother Nature... When will you stop being so naïve? Be careful what you wish for." 

Days passed before you saw Aiden again. It wasn't that you were avoiding him, it was just that... You didn't want to see him. You couldn't even sort out how you felt about him; everything was so jumbled inside of you that emotions hardly mattered anymore. You felt your heart growing harder, blocking away the lovely little things in life. You felt nothing now when Phaedrus told you of the terrible things in the world. Your usual thoughtfulness had been replaced with indifference. And you hardly even remembered how to smile. 

Lounging in your library was only made anything less than boring because of the exercise of your magic. You could spend hours spreading fire with gusts of wind and blazing heat, only to vanquish it with an outpouring of water. The shadows were beautiful in their own right, twisting and twirling the same way the light once had. 

You knew something was about to happen. Anxiety gnawed at you. It was Phaedrus's last words, the way the sky was darker than usual. You could only bring yourself to lie on the floor and stare at the ceiling, sending vines about the room until every inch of the walls were covered. Something told you that you were creating a dungeon, though you'd never create that intentionally. 

There was a knocking on the outside of the vine covering. There was nothing you wanted to discuss with anyone right now. All you wanted was to spend hours here, surrounded by your tightly-woven fortress...

You waved your hand to move the vines. Phaedrus strode in, looking about the room. 

"Lovely prison you've made here," he commented, examining the vines. 

You said nothing. It wasn't a prison, it was... Well, a prison...

"Dear, may I ask a favor of you?" 

"Haven't I given you enough?" 

He smiled. "You've given me much, but I do need more for my plan to work." 

You sat up. "If you want my help, tell me what you're trying to do." 

"No." 

You frowned at him. "What does this favor imply?" 

"Nothing much," he said casually. "May I have... A feather?" 

You spawned one in your hand and held it out to him. It seemed odd that he would want a feather. To hell with it, you thought. He can have the damn feather. 

But he started laughing. "No, no, no, dear. One of your feathers." 

You spread your wings to look at them. Why did he want one of those?

"It won't hurt," he said, kneeling next to you. You watched his fingers run along the tips, then tighten around the shaft of one. "And don't worry... You won't notice just one missing." 

He yanked it out, and you yelped as a sharp pain shot through the wing. Though it hurt, it didn't seem significant - not really, anyway. He stood and twirled the feather between his thumb and forefinger, smiling at it. 

"Why did you take that?"

He smiled. "These feathers hold much more power than you would think." 

You looked away from him and stood up. "Whatever. Have fun with that." 

"Where are you off to now, dear?" 

"Dunno. Away from you." 

"Well, don't let me interfere with this beautiful dungeon you're creating here." He disappeared in a cloud of smoke. You could still hear his last words echoing through your mind: "We'll definitely be utilizing it later."

short chapter lol i'm sitting outside my school and watching parks and rec