Chapter 18

*tries not to cry while listening to the Disneyland Legacy Collection soundtrack* *fails*

You sped to your castle. You couldn't feel anything and it made you want to panic, but you couldn't even bring yourself to feel the chaotic emotions that would bring panic on. You were panting hard, but not because you were scared or angry or tired - you felt the need to pant. You felt you could rip your own hair out as you stood there unable to feel anything more than nothing. 

"(Y/N)." 

"Leave me alone, Phaedrus." 

"My dear, you mustn't push me away now." 

You looked up at him. He stood a few yards away from you, and you noticed how average he looked compared to the nightmares you'd had of him. He was dressed in all grey, a long cape trailing behind him that was tinted with green. He'd thought that by incorporating the green it would tie him to you somehow.  You wanted to set the cape - and him - on fire. 

"I don't want to talk to you." 

He snarled. "Fine." 

You watched as he tossed his cape over his shoulder and began storming out of the castle. You adjusted your dress and hair, then stood up a little straighter. Deep breath in, deep breath out. 

He turned around again. "Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't want you to get lonely, my dear. I'm leaving a friend here for you." 

"Don't." 

"He's much better for you than those Guardians of yours." 

You scoffed and turned away from him. The castle was oddly empty, even with you and Phaedrus and the boy that he was apparently leaving there. You tried to remember why you'd made it so big, but nothing came to you. 

With a breeze, you felt the chilling presence of Phaedrus depart. You looked over your shoulder and saw only a boy standing by where Phaedrus had left. 

"Aiden?" 

"(Y/N)." 

You turned and ran to him. His arms wrapped around you and held you against him tightly. Still, you felt nothing, and you clung to him as if he could bring emotion back into your body. 

"Are you okay?" he asked. 

"I-I'm... Fine." 

"Something's wrong." 

You shook your head. "I just... Need to relax." 

He smiled, but it did nothing for you. Still, you would pretend to be happy for him. He took your hand. "Come on," he said, "I haven't seen your castle." 

"I haven't either," you confessed, letting him pull you forward. 

"But it's yours!" he exclaimed. 

"Yeah, but I've been with Bunny most nights. Or at the North Pole." 

He chuckled. "Well then, I suppose we shall be each other's tour guides." 

You laughed and almost felt something. Standing next to him, it was like the final touch on a painting that you hadn't known you needed. 

"What're you doing here, anyway?" you asked him. 

He shrugged. "Phaedrus brought me to protect you. Though... I-I don't see how I can do much." 

You stopped. "Phaedrus... Brought you? You went with him?" 

"Well, yeah." He cocked his head. "Why?" 

"Why would you listen to what he said?" 

He pursed his lips together, and you could tell he was hiding something. Something cloudy wound its way into your stomach. You put your hands on his shoulders. "What did he promise you?"