Chapter 14

You woke up with Pitch still clutching your hand, passed out in a chair that you either hadn't noticed before or had been brought in after you'd fallen asleep. You blinked a few times as the brightness in the room dimmed to normal and things came back into focus. 

"Pitch?" you asked quietly. 

He lifted his head, and his eyes were glazed with the confusion of someone who just awoke in a strange place. But then he shook his head and clarity returned. 

"Hey, (Y/N). You okay?" 

"Yeah, I'm fine. Did you stay here the whole time?" 

He nodded. "I figured you'd get lonely." 

You smiled at his response, then sat up. "Where's Bunny? How come he hasn't come in?" 

"They're not letting him." Pitch stood and adjusted his coat. "Let me go tell them you're awake." 

"Right, okay." 

Your heart sunk as you watched the door close. Even if they wouldn't let him in, why hadn't he forced his way in? Why hadn't you even heard his voice? You wanted to at least know he was out there. He really was the Guardian of Hope. 

North and Ombric bustled in, followed by Pitch. Aiden slipped in after them, but he held his finger to his lips when your eyes landed on him. He wasn't supposed to be there. 

"So, (Y/N)," Ombric said slowly, "You have darkness inside of you." 

"Okay, got that." 

"And it's dangerous." 

"Figures." 

"You could hurt one of us." 

"I know." 

"And you might be stuck like that." 

"You give me such hope." 

"(Y/N) - " North started. 

Bitterness ate at you, but you tried to push it away, focusing on Pitch's advice to stay positive. Your words, however, betrayed your annoyance: "I don't need you guys to come in and tell me things I already know. I want to know if there's anything you can do, anything I can do to be proactive. It's killing me to be stuck like this." 

"Well, we know Phaedrus has something to do with it," Ombric explained. "We believe he may have used Bunnymund as a kind of vessel for the darkness. He must've transferred it to you."

"When can I get up?" 

"Not for a while. We want to be sure that the darkness stays contained." 

"You don't trust me?" 

"We don't trust the darkness, or the power it holds." 

"And I can't see Bunny?" 

Ombric looked away and North sighed. He answered, "No. Not until we have more to go off of." 

"Okay. Okay, fine. Please leave." 

North stepped forward. "(Y/N) - " 

"Just go." 

Ombric and North sent glances at each other, then turned around and left the room. They weren't exactly going quickly, but certainly not slowly, either. Aiden tried to hide, but Ombric grabbed him by the arm as he passed. You waved at him as the door closed. 

"That didn't go very well," Pitch said quietly, heaving a heavy sigh. 

"That's okay." You looked up at him. "You should go, too. I'll probably just rest."