Chapter 2

i'm getting on a plane to Idaho tomorrow and i'll be up there for about a week. i'll probably be too shy to ask for the wifi password so unfortunately i may not be updating much coming up. though i haven't been updating much to begin with *disappointed-in-self sigh*

You woke up with Bunny's human form still lying across you. You suddenly felt a bit guilty; it seemed that he would sleep a lot later than he usually did if it weren't for you waking him up. But you figured that perhaps it wasn't a big deal; after all, he did have a lot to do on a day-to-day basis. 

You stroked his hair and kissed his cheek. "Bunny." 

He scrunched up his nose and smiled. "Good mornin', little mate." 

Your fingers ran through his hair. "It's time for us to get up." 

"Five more minutes...?" 

You rolled your eyes and smiled. You didn't like to argue with Bunny, especially when it was something so petty like getting off the couch. In addition, you were warm and comfortable lying against him. "Fine. But I'm timing it." 

The house was cool, silent, and still. Outside, it sounded like the eggs hadn't woken yet, either, and you wondered what time it actually was. There was light filtering through the window, but the Warren was unusually quiet. Your stomach felt heavy as you stared up at the fan, spinning around and around above you, and you couldn't understand why you felt out-of-place. Maybe you'd talk to Manny; he often had answers as to the unexplained aspects of being a Guardian. 

Your thoughts began to wander. It had been two years since you'd been with Bunny, two years since you'd been ceremoniously deemed a Guardian, two years since you'd defeated Pitch's evil side and brought him back to the world as a brother to Manny. And yet, there was so much you didn't understand, mostly about yourself. Everything was so complex, so confusing, you thought you'd never learn. You often found North and Bunny repeating themselves, trying to get you to remember something - anything - about just what you were supposed to be doing. And you never could. 

Exactly four minutes later, Bunny was hauling himself up into a sitting position. 

"You still had one minute."

"I'll spend it kissing you." 

He took your hands and pulled you towards him, bringing you into his lap as he leaned back on the couch. You wrapped your arms around his neck and pressed your lips against his. They connected like fireworks, and you smiled into the kiss. His fingers traced down your spine and twisted around your waist, sending a burst of nervous excitement through your veins. His hands began to wander up your shirt; the soft touch moved slowly across your skin. His lips moved to meet your jawline, and his teeth grazed the skin. In one quick motion, his lips barely leaving your skin, he slipped your shirt off. Your heart was pounding and the blood roared in your ears. It didn't take much on his part to make you cling to his every movement. 

"This is taking longer than a minute," you reminded him. 

"Yes, but do you mind, darlin'?" he asked, running his hands up your stomach. 

"(Y/N)? Bunny?" 

Your head whipped away from Bunny and towards the door, which was opening as your eyes landed on it. Beneath you, Bunny shifted, and suddenly he was a rabbit again. 

Jack's head appeared, smiling, until he saw you. His cheeks turned red and he whirled around, bumping into North, who also blushed profusely. Bunny handed you your shirt. 

"Next time," he whispered with a chuckle. 

You climbed off of him and stood up, pulling your shirt over your head as you did. Bunny watched you closely, his eyebrow raised, and you stuck your tongue out at him. He grinned, a mischievous glint dancing in his eyes. 

"You could knock next time," you called to Jack as you smoothed your shirt back down. 

The door opened again, and Jack was smiling sheepishly. "Sorry, Snowflake." 

North followed Jack, and closed the door behind him. "Be gentle, Bunny." 

"North!" you exclaimed at the same moment Bunny did. Now it was your turn to blush, feeling embarrassed when someone walked in on even a kiss. But the other Guardians got a kick out of teasing the two of you about it, and it didn't bother you that much. 

"What're you guys doin' 'ere?" Bunny asked, crossing one leg over the other. 

Jack and North looked at each other. pause - may i just say that i feel like Jack and North would have the greatest relationship like some kind of awesome (not weird) father-son-brother bromance or something idk anyway. North bit his lip and Jack looked down, both seeming like they had something to say but didn't know how to go about doing it. 

"Well, Manny had a proposal," North started. "It's about (Y/N), and... Her powers." 

You cocked your head. "What kind of proposal?" 

North sat down in a love seat that stood adjacent to the couch. Jack positioned himself criss-cross on the coffee table. Following their examples, you settled back down next to Bunny. He took your hand, and the slight tremble in his paw made you realize that he knew what was coming. 

"(Y/N), you've been having trouble figuring out your powers, no?" 

"Well... Yeah." 

"And you want to understand, do you not?" 

"Yes...?" 

North looked to Jack, who continued. "Us Guardians discovered a big part of our powers when we built homes for ourselves. Manny thinks that the only way for someone to understand who they are as a Guardian is to make themselves a place to live." 

"But I live here. In... Bunny's home." You looked out the window, knowing that this wasn't what they meant. 

"W-We know," Jack said, "But it might be just what you need to make your own." 

"You could still live here, little mate," Bunny assured you. "You'll just have the experience of makin' a home. Of creatin' somethin'." 

Doubt filled you. Somehow, you knew that there was more to making a home than just practicing with your powers. Creating a place for yourself to live wouldn't magically seal in your knowledge of your powers. And why now? Two years after you'd become a Guardian, was now really the most appropriate time to build your own place? And you certainly didn't want to leave Bunny. 

"(Y/N)," North said gently, drawing your attention back to the conversation. "Are you ready for this?" 

No. "I... Y-Yes."