Chapter 5

"What... What did you do? What was that?!"

"I think you know," she replied, holding her slightly-injured hand back with a wicked glare. But the corners of her lips were smiling, and her eyebrow was raised in superiority.

You dropped to your knees and put your hand on Bunny's chest. His breathing was quick and his heartbeat rapid. His ears twitched, then his body shifted to his human form.

"How long until the affects wear off?" you demanded, trying to hide him from her sight. Of all people, you didn't want her to see him like that. You couldn't think straight; the questions bounced off of each other and barreled out of your mouth. "What exactly is gonna happen to him? What do I do? Why did you do this?!"

"You need a chill pill, honey," she replied, slipping her injured hand behind her back. "He'll chase after the one who he truly loves, which is me now that I shot him with that arrow. It was specially crafted for him, y'know." She shrugged, then smirked again. "It'll last an hour, maybe two. But that's all I need. So, I suggest you get going back to that pretty little castle of yours and let nature take it's course."

"I'm not leaving his side for a second," you spat.

She cocked her head. "That's a bit dirty, don'tcha think?"

"I thought you were my friend," you said, the edge in your voice turning to a plea. "Why're you doing this to us?"

"I want what you have," she replied. "You don't deserve any of this."

Bunny moved next to you. A light red glow still came from his chest. His green eyes flew open, and they landed on you, searching wildly. What did he know? Or rather, what didn't he know?

"Bunny," you whispered, fingering a lock of his hair. "Please don't..." 

He put a hand on your waist, and he seemed to be trying to decide something. Hope flared in your chest. Maybe the arrow had missed his heart; maybe it wouldn't work right. Then, to your dismay, he said very quietly, "Cupid?" 

You didn't want anyone else to see what you had with Bunny. Your throat was so tight that your voice was broken when you tried to use it. "N-No." 

He sat up. "W-Where... Where's Cupid?" 

You put your hand on his chest and pushed him back, but he was much stronger than you. You let out a quiet cry as we wrapped his hands around your wrist and pulled your hand from his chest. "Listen to me, Bunny, please - "

"Here I am, Bunnymund," Cupid cooed, moving towards the two of you. You didn't know what to do. Repel her with magic? Fight her? All you could bring yourself to actually do was hold tightly to Bunnymund, his hand still wrapped tightly around yours. 

"It's me, Bunny," you cried, putting the hand that he wasn't holding on his shoulder. You tried to get his attention, but his head didn't turn. "Bunny. Bunny, pay attention, please. Don't look at her like that!" Hysteria was rising in your chest. Your voice was panicked and sobs began to merge with the words. "Don't do this, Bunny! Please, stop! You love me! You said you loved me..." 

You looked down at your fingers, still tightly woven with his. You couldn't bring yourself to even glance at the two of them as Bunny got to his feet. Slowly, your grip on his hand loosened, and you dropped your hand into your lap with heavy tears. Now what? Would they actually... Kiss? Go further? Guilt gnawed at you. You'd never - and you didn't know if you ever could - give what Cupid could to Bunny. Even if there wasn't love involved, maybe he craved it - he'd been alone for hundreds, if not thousands of years. Of course there was the chance that he would fight such an urge, no matter who it was with. You pondered on leaving. If what Cupid said was true, you didn't actually want to see any of it go down. You felt sick, and the crying wasn't helping. 

"You're a fool, Cupid." 

Alarm shot through your mind. You looked up to see a frozen Cupid, her arms in position to take off her shirt. Bunny stood in front of her, a heavy glare set on his face. 

The frozen figure could still talk. "What... Why didn't it work?" 

"Bad aim?" Bunny asked sarcastically. 

She gave him a look of evil, then realization overtook her features. "True love." 

Bunny rolled his eyes. "What?" 

"An arrow of Lust won't work if the victim is influenced by true love." 

"Get your immature tales out of my Warren," he growled, tapping a hole beneath her. She feel into the ground and disappeared. You briefly wondered where he'd sent her. When the hole closed back up, a daisy appeared in the floor. 

"(Y/N)." 

You drew your eyes from the flower and to his. You scrambled to your feet and flew into his chest. His arms wrapped around you and pulled you tightly against him. Your buried your face in the crook of his neck. 

"Bunny... H-How did you... Why didn't the arrow work?" 

"Oh, little mate," he said quietly, tucking your hair behind your ear. "I could never hurt you like that." 

"But Cupid, a-and the arrow, and - " 

"Don't worry," he chided. "I love you too much to let anything like that hurt us." 

You looked up at him. "Then... What she said was true? About the true love or whatever?" 

"I'm not sure about that," he admitted. "I just know that no one could replace you." He picked you up and carried you back to the room, where he laid you down carefully. He pulled his shirt over his head, then laid down next to you. He took your hand as amusement washed over him. "You were pretty terrified that I was actually going to be affected by that, weren't you?" 

You smiled and looked down at his chest. Your fingers traced the tattoo-like designs that stretched across his skin, over his collarbones and shoulders, down his arms. "I was given no reason to think that you weren't." 

"My tight grip on your hand wasn't enough?" 

"I thought that was just me." 

He laughed and closed his eyes for a moment. You just stared at him. His face seemed so peaceful like that, a light smile on his lips and a relaxed expression painted across his features. You wanted to capture that image of him. You tried to memorize every detail, spreading it like a drawing in your mind. 

"You okay?" he asked. 

"What?" 

"You seemed upset." 

"Oh. Concentrating." 

"On what?"

"You." 

"Me?" 

"You." 

"What about me?" 

"You're really handsome." 

He smiled. "You're really beautiful." 

You smiled in return. He wound his fingers between yours. 

"I like this," you said. 

"What?" 

"Being here with you." 

"I love you," he said. 

"I love - " 

"Really." You looked up at him. His gaze was intense. "I love you. I love you so much." 

You reached over and brushed hair from his forehead. "Really. I love you, too." 

i feel like i'm writing a tv show script thats going downhill i need to set the plot in motion