Chapter 22

started school today and i'm already like 80% dead

The Guardians all lifted their hands over Pitch. Bunny's paws brushed against your hands and you didn't move them, but didn't look up at him, either. Your eyes were focused on Pitch's face, resting quietly as if nothing was wrong. But the life-threatening markings on his body gave it away. With the help of the others, you could help him... Couldn't you?

"So... What are we doing, exactly?" Tooth asked quietly. 

You looked up at her. Ombric pursed his lips and shifted. Suddenly you found yourself afraid - he didn't even know what he was doing. It was up to you to lead them all. Out of instinct, you looked at Bunny. His eyes were already on you, and he gave you a reassuring nod. Somehow, this was enough to comfort you completely. 

"We have to extract the injuries from him," you began to explain. "When it's something this big, I think it's almost like... Everything is put inside of us. I-I'm not sure... All you do is... Kind of will yourself to take the injuries out... And it works...?" 

Sandy's eyes were wide. 

"That... Wasn't helpful, was it?" 

He shook his head. 

You took a deep breath, then took Bunny's arm. You gently moved the fur away from his paw. "Trust me, okay?" You spawned a thorn, then pushed it into his paw. He flinched, but didn't make a sound. "So, he's injured. Obviously. Sorry." You put your hand over his paw. The magic began to reverse the thorn's presence - slowly, it unloaded itself from his flesh and disappeared into dust in the air. The small hole where it had been closed, and his fur was back to normal. "See, all I did was pull the thorn out with magic, and the magic did the rest on its own." 

"But we aren't pulling a thorn out," Tooth protested. 

You groaned and pushed Bunny's paw away. "Fine. Then do what I'm doing and try to make yourself useful." 

You replaced your hands over Pitch's chest and began the process. I believe, you began in your mind. I believe. I believe. You felt it radiate through your skin, seemingly turning everything inside of you flaming red. You grimaced against the burning sensation and continued to pull the magic, up and out. Up and out, I believe...

Bunny's paws were next to yours, and he frowned down at Pitch as he apparently began to aide you. You glanced at his paws - trembling. Then Manny stepped in. Jack seemed hesitant, but put his hands over Pitch and began the spell. Next was Ombric, then North. Tooth and Sandy joined, and soon the injuries began to fade - slowly at first, then quickly. 

The more he was healed, the lighter it got. Around you, light swirled around the hands (or, paws) of the other Guardians. You tried to ignore the fact that the spiraling beams around your hands were formulated of darkness. 

Pitch's injuries were evening out, but his breathing was becoming unsteady. His chest began to heave. 

"We're loosing him," Manny said. "He's dying." 

"Try harder," you muttered. Your wrists began to throb, and you thought they might explode. The pain wound itself through your veins and made your bones vibrate. Everything around you seemed to be growing darker, and you feared you might pass out. A violent winded picked up, and began to spiral around you, pushing your hair back. It didn't make the task easier, but it seemed to help with the pain. 

Tooth collapsed. You tried to pick up what she had taken out before it went back into him. You felt you'd swallowed a huge pill - it wen through your throat and made your stomach sick. Then Jack fell backwards. You gasped as the magic pushed its way into your palms. By now, you felt they would look bloody and raw, with how badly they were stinging.