Chapter 10

i just

oh i just

love 

Aiden

Two days passed quickly. You didn't leave Santoff Claussen once, except on one occasion when you were going on a make-believe expedition to find a mythical beast, which ended up being Aiden who acted like a bear and called himself "Swicker". He was a charming character, devoted to the kids and polite to the parents. He was honest, brave, kind, loyal. And he always seemed to be wearing a smile. 

"It's rude to stare, y'know," he teased one day as he stood, brushing his clothes off. He'd just been tackled into the ground on account of justice, as "Swicker" had stolen a ruby from the "king". 

"I'm not staring," you defended. 

He grinned. "I don't really mind." 

"Well I do. I have a... A boyfriend." The word was still weird to you, especially when labeling Bunny with it. But what else to call him? That's who he was to you. 

"Bunnymund?" 

You nodded. "You'd you know?" 

"Ombric. He talks a lot." 

"Oh." 

"Do you love him?" 

"Well, yeah." 

"Does he love you?" 

"I... I think so." 

He raised an eyebrow, a favorite trick of his. Paired with his smirk, it was impossible not to smile at him. 

You thought of Bunny, how you hadn't heard anything from him. Was it because he was honoring your request of a break, or didn't care enough to come looking? You weren't sure which one you wanted. Surely he was at least curious of your whereabouts. Here with Aiden, you felt companionship. It wasn't romantic, and that was why you liked it. You felt you'd needed these experiences. And you were realizing that your powers were stronger, more under control. 

"Yes, of course he loves me. What's it to you?" 

He shrugged and motioned with his head for you to follow. "I want to make sure you have the love you deserve." 

"Why?" 

He turned and took both your hands, his eyes narrowed thoughtfully. "Are you ready to learn something new?" 

You cocked your head. "Yes...?" 

He smiled. "Then come on." 

He led you to Big Root, where you'd been staying while you were there in Santoff Claussen. Ombric had been kind enough to let you sleep there, and Aiden seemed to always have food or other necessities other than that. Aiden walked through the door and greeted Ombric. 

"May I have the book now?" he asked. 

"Already?" 

He smiled and nodded. 

Confusion darted about like butterflies in your mind. What were they talking about? Did this have something to do with what Pitch and Ombric had discussed? Were you missing something. Ombric picked a book up off a desk, the one that you hadn't been able to read the full title of. He handed it to Aiden, who tucked it under his arm and gave a playful salute. 

"See you later, Ombric," he said. 

"Bye, Ombric," you said. 

"Goodbye, you two," he said, chuckling.