Chapter 29

I rounded the corner of the ward to see the vacant face that I had become to know so well. His parents were still there by the side of his bed, surrounded by get well balloons with magazines and teddy bears: all of the average things that visitors will bring.

It’s a shame that he will never read those magazines whilst he is staying here.

The comatose ward where I work is only very small, with beds for fifteen patients. To be honest, it isn’t the best place to be for working. You feel caged in. There are no windows: meaning there is no natural light. The whole staff body on this ward are subject to the awful light that fluorescent bars bring – they make you feel ill just by being under them.

The floor is mopped every time someone walks upon it. This means that you might as well put mops on your feet and clean the floor as you walk.

There you go! Job done.

But, there is a point to all of this “close to godliness” of going about things. These poor people have next to no immune system whilst their bodies have shut down. I do feel sorry for them, and even though it is out of my job description, I like to speak to them, especially Dylan.

He listens.

I know it sounds stupid, because he can’t speak, but the way he always looks serene and at peace with himself and the wold. I wish I was that way. I think I would enjoy life more. I can talk to him about anything, whether it be troubles with my boyfriend or just thinking what he is thinking about.

I looked at the watch that was hanging from the front pocket of my blouse. 2:00PM. That meant that it was time to do Dylan’s physio. Without me, he would have wasted away without me by now. God, I hope he’ll be OK.

There is one thing though. It’s not on his file how he got this way, and that kind of worries me. I normally know all of my patients – even if they don’t know me.

Well, those magazines that he will never read, maybe I will read them to him after we have completed his physio regime.

I put on a brave face as I came into view.

‘Hi guys! How’s it going today?’