Chapter 21 How Love Can Be Foolish

Soft footsteps hit the marbled floor, producing a light sound of a tap. It contradicts the loud gala that was currently taking place in the Phantomhive vicinity. His movements were smooth and calculated as he tried to minimize his presence. The moon's light peeked on the window down to his frame, his shadow being cast on the ground.

These certain atmosphere always made him drop his facade and show his true self.

"It's a beautiful night." His voice resonated across the empty hallways .

He was not fond of the idea of attending a luxurious party. However, his good friend invited him which leads him to no choice but accept it.

"Are you alright, Mister?" a tiny little voice suddenly said, disrupting the male from his thoughts.

The surprised silver head turned to the petite girl girl beside him. She was wearing a gorgeous red dress that matched her blonde curls and light skin. Her hazel eyes showed pure curiosity as she tightly clutched on her worn out white teddy bear.

His eyes focused upon the toy. One of its eyes was missing and numerous stitches are present around its body. It was the exact definition of trash and yet the girl was clinging onto it as if it was made of gold.

He knelt down to her level and let his chartreuse eyes meet her curious ones.

"Is he your friend?" he asked, ignoring the girl's question.

The girl nodded enthusiastically with a pleasant smile plastered on her face. "His name is Charles and he likes hugs."

"I see." he paused for a second. "Don't you find him to be disgusting already?"

"Hm? Digutching?" the child twisted her tongue, trying to imitate what he just said.

He decided to change the question to aid the struggling child. "Isn't he ugl--?"

"Shh!" the girl hushed, covering his mouth. "You'll make him sad!"

The male released a soft chuckle, removing the girl's grip from his face. "Alright."

"He's sad that's why he always needs hugs."

"Oh really?"

"Really, really!" she stopped, staring at the male's features. "Do you want a hug?"

"A hug?"

The girl didn't say more. She let her small arms enveloped the tall man in front of her.

He felt warm. He felt a tinge of happiness tugging on his heart. It was  a foreign yet blissful feeling. He found himself hugging the girl back quite delicately, afraid to break the fragile human.

"Julienne! Where are you!?" a woman's voice called out, making the girl flinch and release herself from his grip.

"I need to go, Mister!" she quickly said and held out her pinky finger. "Promise me that we'll see each other again!"

"Why?"

"We're friends, that's why!"

"We just met."

"Friends are friends! Promise me!" she aggressively growled.

He laughed at the child's enthusiasm before locking his pinky finger on hers. "I promise then."

She nodded, grinning bashfully before running to a direction only to return back to him.

"What's your name, Mister?"