Chapter 15 Not What I Anticipated

Sabrina Luthferd

I adjusted my hat, checking my dark red dress and turning around as I watched my reflection do the same in the mirror.

This is the day that I will spend with Brother. I am very much excited and cannot contain it that I even asked Ms. Meyrin for help to pick my dress.

"Do I look fine, Ms. Meyrin?" I asked.

"Y-you look gorgeous, yes indeed!" She answered with a grin while she adjusts her eyeglasses.

"Thank you."

"It is a surprise for me though.." She said, looking up. "Young master had never been in an outing for the sake of enjoyment. He did not even invite Lady Elizabeth to have outdoor activities."

My smile faltered for a second after hearing Brother's fiancé's name. I regained my composure with a smile.

"It is because I outwitted Brother. I doubt that he will invite me even if the whole country depends on it." I said with humour evident in my tone.

"Are you sure about that, my dear sister?"

I turned to the door to see Brother in a clothing of a middle class man. He looks astonishing in it. Sebastian was holding the door open for him. Brother entered the room with a sly smile on his face.

"Yes I am indeed sure." I answered, grinning back. "We can always ask Sebastian for his approval." I glanced at the mysterious butler's direction who was smirking in amusement.

Brother raised an eyebrow before dismissing my response with a shook on the head.

"You look great in that attire, Brother." I said with a smile.

"Thank you for your flattery... Shall we depart now?" He asked, lending his arm.

I gladly took it while nodding eagerly. We walked out my room, through the hallways and down the grand stairs.

"Lady E-Elizabeth, please calm down!" Finnian's voice resonated in the whole manor.

I stopped walking, letting go of Brother's arm instantly as Elizabeth opened the double doors, her face contorted to an angry expression.

"Ciel Phantomhive!" She cried, stomping towards Brother who also stopped walking. "Do you know what date it is today!?"

"It is the 31st of January?" Brother answered, unsure.

"Precisely! Are you forgetting something important!?" Elizabeth halted to a stop in front of Brother.

"...It is a Sunday?"

Elizabeth groaned. "Geez, Ciel! Our wedding is on the 5th of March and we still have not planned anything! We have to plan today!"

"Can we postpone it to another day?" He asked, slightly glancing at my demeanor.

"No! We need to plan now!" She shouted.

"But I have an appointment -"

"Sebastian." I called out, turning to the butler behind me. "We still have to go to Thornless Rose. Let us leave already."

Sebastian's face was masked with surprise but he soon held it back with a small smile dancing on his lips. "Of course, my Young Mistress."

I took a short bow in Elizabeth's direction.

"Have a nice day." I said and walked ahead, not waiting for a reply.

"Have a great day outing, Jully!~" she greeted. I did not bother to turn back. "Ciel, why are you wearing those horrible clothes!? Let's get you changed in blue, okay?~"

They are not horrible..

I rode the carriage with Sebastian in silence. I am not in the mood to converse with anyone.

I thought that I will have a delightful day with Brother but it seems like some things are not really meant to happen.

I am indeed upset with the fact that our outing got cancelled... But I am more upset with the fact that Brother's wedding is nearing.

He will be tied to Elizabeth, our cousin. I do not have any say to this issue. They look perfect for each other. A noble marrying a noble.

...But why!?? Why do I feel this conflicted emotion!? The answer is indeed simple. I love Brother. But we are not meant to be together. We are siblings. He is a noble and I am a street rat that is trying to be a noble.

...But I do not want them to get married.. But it is not like I can do something to stop the wedding..

Now I am starting to regret that I met Brother.. He is the only person who have made me so distressed in my entire life.

"Young Mistress?"

I turned to Sebastian as he disrupted my thoughts.

"Yes, Sebastian?"

"Is there any problem that I can assist you with?"

I stopped and thought for a moment.

"I would like to ask your opinion." I started, slowly mouthing each word.

"Yes?"

"If you are in a room with one door, a door that leads to another room that is full of things that are bizarre for your own taste, and you have a key to open that door... Would you open the door amidst the misfits that might await you or would you stay in the very same room- the room that you have always been accustomed to?" I asked.

Sebastian raised an eyebrow but stayed quiet. He raised a gloved hand to his lips as a sign that he was thinking of an answer.

"...Young Mistress. I have the key to that door, am I right?" I nodded as a response. "Well, if that is the case, I would simply open the door and venture using only my eyes. If I do not favor what is in that room, I can simply lock it again with the key that I have. That said, I would like to express that a person's fate solely depends on him." Sebastian continued.

"It is in your hands, Young Mistress. You can always go back to the room where you used to belong. As said in the poem Invictus written by William Ernest Henley, 'I am the captain of my soul'. You are the captain of your soul, my dear."

I nodded, not really getting the gist of what Sebastian had said.

"...But I cannot say the same with Young Master. I'm afraid that he is not the captain of his soul anymore." He chuckled at his own humour.

I simply rolled my eyes and focused my vision on the carriage window.

"Thank you, Sebastian." I mumbled even though I did not really understand fully what he just said.

"You are welcome."

We soon reached our destination, the Thornless Rose. Sebastian opened the door for me. I mouthed a small sign of gratitude before entering swiftly with him trailing behind.

"...Sabrina!??" Allan asked in surprise.

"Greetings!" I cheered. "I am here to drink the night away, Allan. Get your skills ready!" I said as I sat on one of the stools.

"Umm. Sure?" He eyed me suspiciously.

..He seems to know that I am not my usual self... Some things just don't change.

"Come join me, Sebastian. I will take a while and standing there will just bore you." I said, looking back at him with a smile for second before turning back to Allan. "I will have my usual please."

Just let me drown my sorrows for now...

~~~~~~~
(Bakamono: MISCALCULATIOOONNSSS. The turning point will happen next chapter, I swear XD

Sorry for another slow update. We're approaching 1k guys. Thankies!!

And no. I haven't published my RyoumaxReader yet T^T)