Chapter 12 Queen's Watchdog and the Beautiful Street Rat

Sabrina Luthferd

"I would like to join you in your trip to the town, Brother." I said, determined.

"Sabrina, you are very much aware that I am going to attend to my occupation as the Queen's Watchdog." It was clear that he was irritated with my continues pleading. "Now stop being a headache and follow your Brother."

"No." I answered, pressing my lips into a thin line.

He stared at me in disbelief, mouth slightly hanging open. With a groan, he slumped on his chair and drummed his fingers across his study table. He was studying me as I was standing near the doorframe.

"Sebastian, reason with this unreasonable lady in front of me." He said, eyes flickering to Sebastian who was preparing Brother's tea.

Another gentleman to oppose me. How lucky am I.

"I believe that this beautiful lady you deemed unreasonable is reasonable, Young Master." I smiled at his response.

Seems like this gentleman is not opposing me. I silently thanked him, smiling a bit. He just flashed a mischievous grin as a response.

"Of course I am always reaso- Sebastian!" Brother shot him a glare.

"Young Mistress is a capable lady that can protect herself." Sebastian settled the tea on the table. "I see no problem if she is to venture with you."

"That is clearly unacceptable!" He held out a loud sigh, massaging his temples.

He then faced me, eyes gazing softly at my face.

"Juliana." His voice became soothing unlike his bark like voice seconds ago. "Please understand that I am worried about your safety. I do not want you getting hurt. So would you please be kind enough to not be hardheaded?"

I lowered my defenses. Brother is pleading and his face makes me melt... But I am afraid that my resolve can not be easily penetrated.

"No." I answered.

He once again stared at me in disbelief. "Come on! Get it through your thick skull already! You are not to join me and that is final."

"Final my butt!" I stuck my tongue out. "You cannot make me do what you always want, Grumpy head!"

I walked out, loudly slamming the door shut in the process.

We are clearly not fighting. That became our daily routine - to bicker. I felt closer to Brother. I now see him not only the sweet Brother I knew but also a short tempered, mean, sharp tongued man. I love those two contradicting attitudes of him. I smiled and chuckled to myself. He can be so cute when angry just like a few minutes ago.

"Finny, it's over there!"

"Shoot it, shoot it!"

"Ah! It's getting away!"

"Catch it at all cost! Young Master will be enraged if he found it."

What is the reason for a ruckus? Is it another mouse? I ran down the grand staircase to find the three chasing a... Cat.

It seems like it has upgraded to a cat. The mouse, that is.

"Here, little darling." I said, crouching down to get the little fellow.

The cat ran to my arms. I smiled, picking it up. I delicately rubbed its head, earning a purr from it.

"A-ah! Young Mistress!" Meyrin bowed.

"Do not scare this little darling, okay?" I smiled at them. "She will only start a ruckus more."

I turned to Finnian who was eyeing the cat curiously.