Chapter 7 A Needle of Truth in A Pile Of Lies

Sabrina Luthferd

"Checkmate!" I cheered, grinning.

Master laughed at my sudden outburst. "Looks like my dear daughter can defeat me in the battle of wits already."

"Brother has been playing with me and that had helped me improve in so many ways." I answered.

"I see, I see. So, how is your stay at the Phantomhive manor? Are they treating you well?"

"I find it boring some times but I surely enjoy their company. They have this careless maid named Meyrin that is so kind and caring, a funny 'chef' named Bardroy that almost burned the whole house in a daily basis, a sweet gardener named Finnian that always ruin the garden, a butler named Tanaka that only drinks tea the whole day, and a mysterious head butler named Sebastian." We both laughed. "It might sound weird but those are the people that takes care of brother and I."

"How about Earl Phantomhive?" My heart skipped a beat upon hearing the question.

"...He's a great brother that would always protect me and make me laugh."

"What do you feel about him?"

I laughed awkwardly, turning my head away from Master.

"...I feel... Safe?" I answered just to be in the 'safe' side.... Pardon my humour.

"My dear child." He said as I faced him. "Be careful, okay? The last state I would like to see you in is a lovesick, crying state. Even though I really find you perfect together..."

"That's idiotic, Master. I love my brother as a sibling and not in a romantic way." I quickly said, reassuring myself instead of Master. "And my brother already has his fiancé and they will be married sooner or later."

"Well, I'm just warning you. Please keep it in mind."

"Alright.." I said before standing up. "I'll be leaving now, Master. I'll look around town. I haven't been here for ages!"

I bid farewell to Allan and James and then head out to the busy streets.

The sun is shining so brightly and I cannot help but grimace. I'm still not used with the sun's company.

I roamed around, looking at the pastry shops to find the perfect cake for me to eat. I stumbled upon a shop called Trance Pastry Shop that had mouthwatering cakes on display. Without thinking much, I entered the shop, filling my nostrils with the aroma of freshly baked cakes. I hurriedly checked the flavours one by one.

This one looks delicious.

"Hey, did you hear? The Queen's Watchdog's roaming around town again after staying idle for almost two months." A woman whispered to her company.

They appear to be nobles that spends their day gossiping about nonsense. But nevertheless, Brother was called 'The Queen's Watchdog' by the man from moments ago.. This gossip may be for him.

"Wait. Is the Watchdog the one who takes care of the country's Underworld business?"

...So that is what a Watchdog is.

"Yes! And from what I have heard, this current Watchdog is ruthless and can kill anyone that distresses the queen. Talk about loyalty."

...Huh..? Ruthless and can kill? Somehow, I can imagine Brother being like that, considering his sharp tongue and ferocious attitude. But the counter argument is that he is too kind to be that brute.

"Ciel Phantomhive, am I right?"

"Yes! He definitely has the looks." One chirped. "Any woman can fall in love with him."