Chapter 49

Continued...

It's the late evening and Ethan decided that he'd want to stay with me for a little longer. We're both laying on my bed with our fingers intertwined and our bodies practically glued to one another. I instantly feel his body heat making me feel warm and at ease. He makes me feel so safe just being wrapped around his arms. I know he still blames himself for what happened to me and it sucks because he literally takes on anyone's pain just to make the other person feel at ease again.

I look up at him and he's fallen asleep. God, he looks so angelic and I don't want to wake him. I gently loosen my fingers from his and slide from under his embrace.

 I gently loosen my fingers from his and slide from under his embrace

( gaaah those back muscles y'all... I can't even ugh)

I tip toe towards the door and open it but it ends up making a sound. I jolt my head back and see Ethan tossing over to the other side. I close my eyes and hope he doesn't wake up because I want him to rest. He needs it. I let out a breath and walk outside and quietly close the door behind me. My mom and Steve are already asleep so it's just me and my thoughts that are awake. I head downstairs and into the kitchen. My throat feels super dry so I take out a tall glass and turn the tap on and watch my glass fill up. I day dream way too much for my own good. I sit on the chair and bring my knees to my chest and sip my water to quench my thirst. Moments later I hear my phone buzzing in the living room. Who could be calling me at this time? Maybe Hannah because she's coming to see me tomorrow. I place my cup on the counter and walk into the living room and grab my phone off of the coffee table. It's a private number, strange. I sit myself on the couch and answer it.

I put a strand of my hair behind my ear and wait a few seconds.

"...Hello?"

"Hey, it's Grayson."

Shit.

I look around the room before forming my words again.

"Oh, hey... Is everything okay?"

I stand up to close the living room door a little.

"Yeah, everything's good... Is Ethan there? He hasn't come home so I thought I'd call you..."

I sit back on the couch.

"You wanted to call me?" I try to keep quiet.

"Uhh, I wanted to know if Ethan was at your place?"

"Oh, right, yeah... He's with me right now, well not with me... He's asleep... In my bed."

I feel weird.

He clears his throat.

"Right, I just wanted to make sure he was okay... Sorry I called so late." He lets out an awkward chuckle.

"No problem at all, he's okay..."

There's a pause. Oh god, say something.

"Uhh, I'll let you go now. Thank you for taking care of him, also...I hope you're doing okay, Mia." His voice is soft.

"I am, thanks again for helping me. I'll let Ethan know you called."

We say our goodbyes and hang up. I breathe out and stare at my screen for a while. Why do I find this weird. I know there's nothing weird about this entire situation but things haven't exactly been normal between Grayson and I. I mean... Things get a little tense and awkward when he's around or if we're both in the same room. I shake my head and toss my phone on the couch. I stand up and open the door. I walk back to the kitchen and sit on the chair with my knees to my chest. I sip my water and take in the silence that surrounds me.