Chapter 40: Sleepless Nights

Loud cries filled our room. Rubbing my eyes, I got up and walked over to the crib. Silently picking her up, I walked out of the room, Into the kitchen and rocked her. But her cries only grew

"Shhh it's okay" I whispered. Not that I'd help anyway.

It's been four days since Maisy was born. Jace took off a week of work so that he could help out until I got the gist of things.

Leaning against the counter, I continued to rock her. I felt dead. The total of hours of sleep that I've gotten In the past four days was probably a little over two hours.

"Em" I watched through the microwave lighted kitchen as Jace tiredly walked in. "Go back to bed, I'll take her"

She still hadn't stopped crying.

"No it's okay I'm fine"

"You need more sleep"

"I'm fine"

He sighed "It's only 4? She just woke up like an hour ago"

"Not even" I looked down at her "I know"

He put his hands out to hold her. Sighing, I complied and handed the crying baby to him. I knew what he was doing. This was his way of getting me back to bed.

He held her for a matter of five seconds before she stopped crying.

"I don't understand" I put my hands over my face and rubbed my eyes.

He shrugged and looked down at her, brushing his thumb across her small cheek.

"She must like you better" I tiredly grinned and leaned myself against the counter.

"let's go back to bed" he whispered

I looked over at Maisy, her gentle brown eyes were lingering back to sleep.

"Alright"

Walking back into the room, Jace put her down in her crib that we had moved into our room, for now.

I didn't have any problems going to bed .

Waking up at 10, I looked over to find Jace, and Maisy gone.

Walking into the living room, the house was silent. I sat on the couch and texted Jace.

'Where are you?'

Turning on the tv, I wrapped myself in a blanket and focused my attention on my phone. I hadn't been on social media in months.

I clicked on Instagram, my notifications were through the roof, and I hadn't posted in almost three months.

I took a quick picture of the tv screen and my legs wrapped in the blanket and wrote the complex caption of

'I'm not dead lol'

Posting it, then scrolling through my feed for a while, I realized it had been ten minutes, but still no text from Jace. He normally responded right away.

Brushing it off, I put my phone down and went into the kitchen. I hadn't eaten since Maisy was born. But I always had my hands full, so I was barely ever hungry.

Grabbing a glass and filling it up with water, I took a drink, sat back down on the couch, and set my glass on the coffee table ahead of me.

Flipping through the channels for about two minutes, I heard the lock on our door turning from the outside.

Looking over at the door, I watched as Jace walked through, his hands full.