ten

Jaces point of view

I step out of the car with Emily's mom, walking up to the door mid conversation. I open the door for her. It wasn't until she thanked me did I look towards the car, Emily not even attempting to get herself moving from within the vehicle.

I tell Mrs. Rose that id be in soon, agreeabley she understands. I wait for Em, her body finally dragging out of the car, trudging towards the door.

"You okay?" I call

She makes her way up to me, her arm touching mine.
"No"

"What's going on?"

"You're going to tell them tonight, aren't you?"

"What?"

"That's what you've been talking to my mom about," anger and sadness mix within her emotions. i feel guilty.

"No, that's not a decision to make without you"

"Then tell me what you were talking to her about"

"I can't Em. But I promise you, nothing is happening tonight."

Earlier that day°

I watch as she trudges up to her room from the kitchen.

"Mrs. Rose?"

"Yeah, hun?" She glances up from her bag, dumping the contains onto the counter.

"Can we talk?"

"I suppose?"

"I don't know all of what happened. But I know that you know. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. We both are, for not telling you guys sooner."

She sighs, throwing some of her things from her bag to the trash.
"Why didn't guys want to tell us?"

"We did. We were scared, we're young"

"You're too young. I seriously think you guys should consider an abortion"

"We already decided that we didn't want that. And with all due respect, it's not your say"

She purses her lips, making herself busy.

"Look, I just want you guys to know that, I'm not usually like this. I know I haven't shown your entire family respect. But I assure you that I haven't done anything but respect your daughter. I'm serious about her, we're going to have everything under control"

"Jace," she sighs "My husband and I like you, we think you're respectful. That's not the issue. Emily is loosing her life. Her job, her teenage years. I'm sure you're a great young man, but we don't think that you and em together is the best thing"

I breathe through my nose, holding in every thing I wanted to say about Emily. Everything that tore me inside and out.

"I'm in love with her" I blurt, widened eyes glancing at hers.
"She makes me happy, and I won't take advantage of that, ever"

"Jace-"

"No, I mean it. This isn't some fling. I'm not letting her go. She's everything to me. And she's going to be a great mom. We're going to be a great family. But we can't have that if you try and keep us from it"

"I hate to say this. You're going to fall out, Jace. It happens to every teenage relationship"

"You don't believe me. And that's fine,  let me prove it to you"

"What do you mean?" Her eyebrow raises, strickening her eyes to me.

"I've had the money set aside for months now. Em's been talking about it since I met her. It would make her happy. I think you guys would like it too"

"You're talking about..."

"Yes, I am"

"That's an expensive trip, we couldnt ask you to-"

"You didn't. I want to prove myself, thats what I'm doing"

He hesitates, glancing back down at her hands, Emily did that when she was unsure too.

"I think, that's a really sweet idea," she starts "I'll have to talk to my husband about it.  But I think that sounds like a good idea-"

Emily's creeping footsteps interrupts into the kitchen.
She pushes a long strand of hair behind her ear, smiling over us lightly. I would never get over how beautiful she is.

"You guys ready?" She glances between the both of us.

She remained tense throughout the ride. I, on the other hand, hadn't ever been so sure of something before.

Everything was going to be fine for the next following weeks.

It was too bad it didn't last longer