Chapter 37: I know

Being sick was not an issue to the baby, but more for me.

I had been on my own now for three days, hadn't slept at all up until that point. Hadn't eaten, barely breathed. I'd suppose that was where my cold had begun.

And now, I was stuck in the middle of the worst of it, on my own.

Jace hadn't bothered to show, or call. I didn't bother either.

Sitting on the couch, I set my feet up on the coffee table and read my book. I hadn't had the time to read in forever, but with the house being quiet and empty, I couldn't find anything else to do.

It's never rained so much in California since I've lived here. It was coming down like crazy.

I grabbed a tissue from next to me and blew my nose for the hundredth time in the last thirty minutes. I was sick, but I'd rather be sick now then after Maisy's born.

My phone rang.
I reached next to me, grabbing it off of my couch. Great, just who I want to talk to.

"Hello?"

"Hi sweetie"

"Hi mom" I sighed through the phone

"Is everything ok?"

"Yeah it's fine. Do you need something."

"Jaces mom and I had lunch together this afternoon. She told me that Jace has been staying at her house. What's going on?"

"We uh- we just had an argument that's all"

"Are you sure? I guess that he told her that you guys were over"

"He what?"

"Honey I'm sorry, this can't be easy on you. Do you want to come back home? You're welcome to stay as long as you need"

"N- no I'm fine. I have to go I'll talk to you later"

I pulled the phone away from me and hung up, setting it down on the couch next to me.

I ran my hands over my face. The words repeated over and over again in my head.

He told her that you guys were over.
You guys were over.
We were over.

I felt like crying. But nothing came. Everything was gone.

I set the book on the couch and stared blankly out the glass sliding door.

I eventually looked at the clock. I had been staring at nothing for a half an hour.

Grabbing the remote, I switched on the tv. Scrolling through the channels I stopped on SVU. My small obsession

An hour later, I heard the lock on the door turn. Gripping my phone with white knuckles, there was a part of me that felt it was my mom, and the other half, an intruder.

The door swung open. I stood up from the couch but left my phone.

I stared blankly at him. The way he has been looking at me lately. Expressionless.

I stood at the couch. Nobody said a thing.

He walked over to me, wrapping his arms around me.

But I kept my arms at my sides. My face expressionless. Numb.

"Emily I'm so sor-"