twenty eight

"You don't have to say goodbye today, you know?"

My eyes stare up at the bland building. Silent. Numb.

I ignore Jaces reasonings, walking into the doors of studio eleven, where everything began.

It was the day. That dreaded, awful day that I moved stuff out of the once cozy dressing room, and into my car. The car that Jace hadn't seen yet. The car that was already stuffed with boxes of my things from home. I slept in my car for the past two days. But none of what I had encountered the last few days would be as bad as this moment.

"Emily? Hi how are you!" Veronica smiles, hugging me tightly. Within the past month of me quitting, she had gotten a permanent spot of clothing manager. Jace stands behind me silently. Uncomfortable at the way things ended between them, bringing up memories now that I was here.

I make small talk with her for a bit, scurrying off only to mope slowly down the hallway to the wooden door, a chalkboard sign hangs with my name on it.

Jace helps me put my things in some boxes, understanding that this would be him within months of the show ending. It was equally as hard for him at that moment.

A knock at the door directs my attention, a family cast stands in the doorway, smiles on their faces. Smiles of sympathy.

Some of them had only found out over phone that I had left due to the pregnancy. Some were only now just figuring it out.

"Emily" Riele gives me a squeeze, gasping as she pulls away to look at me.
"Pregnancy glow is a thing?"

"Glad you think so, I feel like a mess" I sniffle, feeling my eyes water for seconds before evaporating with the words repeating in my head. Stop.

Stop.

She moves out of the way, Cooper taking her spot with a hug.

"Can't believe Jace is going to be a dad before me" he huffs, earning a needed laugh from my lips.

The conversation directs to Jace. I zone out, my eyes finding Seans. My first true encounter in California. The one that I owed most to.

My arms hold out, waiting for him to accept my invite. His arms wrap around me tightly, sensing my sadness through my clothes.

"This doesn't have to be goodbye" He speaks.
"It won't be, you know that."

"I hope more than anything that you're right on that one."

"Once you're a part of our family. There isn't any turning back."

xxx

I rub my irritated eyes, puffy at the feeling of detachment of what I owed my entire life to.

Jace sits in the drivers side of his car, my boxes stacked in his back seats. His stare holds to the ground, sitting there letting me cry for minutes. Selflessly.

He doesn't speak a word, not fully understanding what he'd say in order to keep me from breaking.

I was an emotional mess and as much as I didn't want to admit,