twenty seven

I am in a box.

No family
No baby
No light

Just darkness

The walls begin to close and I begin to bleed.

It wasn't the walls that would eventually flatten my rib cage to nothing that scared me.
It wasn't the blood that leaked from my nose or rolled down my cheeks from the brim of my eyes either.

It was being alone.

That, was what terrified me.
*

My body jerks away, a cool sweat forms on my forehead and limbs. I slowly sit up, wiping the dream away from my eyes. My body starting to shake with adrenaline. This feeling wouldn't overcome me at any other point then now.

The smell of Jace within the blankets and the familiarity of it settles me down.

He breathes heavily next to me, on the verge of being a snore. I lay back down with a heavy breath of my own.

His breathing stops for a moment, silencing to normal as he's awaken. The shadow of his face staring at mine is the only indication of where his body lay.
"You okay, Em?"

I settle into his raspy voice, giving out a yes.

"Can't sleep?"

"Bad dream" I correct.

"Oh" he hums, wrapping his bare arm around the texture of my T-shirt. He settles his head to my shoulders. His lips kissing my neck once, gently.
"Get some sleep, okay? I'm here"

"Okay"

He's breathes into my neck lightly, passing out much before I even get a chance to close my eyes.

*

My body flutters awake in darkness, light bleeding through beyond the coverage of the pillow that rest over my head. It took hours to get comfortable these days. Sleep had been dreadful.

I sit up, my eyes adjusting to an empty bed, cold with vacancy. The blankets on his side are made, his pillow leaning against the headboard as if he had been up for hours.

A running shower is cut off with the squeaking of the knobs turning off. I sit up silently in bed, waiting for him to come out.

He swings his bathroom door open, a towel attached to his hips, his body beading in the warm water of his shower.
"Oh" his yes meet mine, "Good morning"

"Morning" I reply, watching as he makes his way to his dresser pulling out a pair of darkened jeans.

"I didn't expect you to be up for another few hours, otherwise I would have made you breakfast"

"It's ten o'clock"

He nods, pulling his pants onto him,
"You were tossing and turning all night after the dream you had. I would have expected you to not have gotten enough sleep."

"Did I keep you awake?"

"Don't worry about it" he answers sweetly. Neglecting to pull a shirt onto him. Sitting down next to me in bed, his lips meet my forehead.
"Do you want me to go down and make you breakfast now?"

"That's sweet but, I have to get my stuff around and head home"

He frowns,
"Why?"

I flash my phone to him. Seven missed calls and four texts all saying that I'd better be home before ten thirty or else. Unmanageably it was ten til. Although I was worried, It was only a matter of time before I tell them off.