thirty one

It was a late afternoon in that same old coffee shop that we had officially met in years ago. Jace and I sit in a booth on the far side, across from the seats that we sat in as young kids.

"Why can we get started now? I want to get the place painted before we move in."

"They won't let us, Em. Our parents have to sign the paperwork, we're not old enough to move in without their permission."

"You turn eighteen in a matter of weeks."

"Doesn't matter."

"I don't want my parents there." I sigh, staring down at the table.

"I know." He rests his hand on mine from across the booth. I look up at him shocked, he hadn't made contact with me in weeks.
"But it's only for a few hours. It'll be okay."

"I just don't understand why they're so against us? We've been responsible with the adult decisions."

"We're kids living adult lives" He shrugs,
"Sometimes that's hard for people to wrap their heads around."

I glance over to the small rounded bar table, currently occupied by an older couple in its seats.
It was an odd thing to admit, but it filled me with warmth to see them there.
"I had no idea i'd be having a family with you when I sat in that chair."

"That makes two of us." He chuckled,
"But I was right about you."

"Why do you say that?"

"I don't know it was just, I knew that I barely knew you, and still I liked you. Even then. I knew there was something about you."

"I wasn't right about you." I admit, refreshing his memory over the fact that I absolutely did not like him at that time.

"I just wish things could go back to how simple they were."

"When Scottish accents were the only talking agenda?"

"I don't even notice it anymore" He sighs,
"We're starting to become boring adults."

He was right, we were starting to fall into that trap. The trap of a boring life; and soon we'd get bored of each other. One of us would cheat and the other would file for a divorce.

It was already starting to happen, the separation that was already defining us as teenagers.

It was what I feared the most .
~~
It was an awkward situation, being back at that old house that put me in shame so many times. A house that as a teenager, I helped support. I often wondered how they were doing, how they were getting by.

I stand at the door, knocking gently. I wasn't sure if I could just walk in. An awkward situation that devoured me to pieces.

My mom opens the door, a robe wrapped around her, and mug between her fingers. Her face drops in shock, hugging me tightly. I missed her more than anything.
"Emily? Hi, how are you?"

"I'm okay, um. Can we- talk?"

Her expression turns to worry, opening the door wider.
"Of course, come in."