five

My parents had been away lately, which was unusual for them. It left me alone quite often and with Jace away for a couple days, it felt like an eternity. But once he was back, my parents were still away and it left only us. I didn't mind it then.

Ralph was settled in, and remained there. My parents being gone, they didn't have time to protest against anything. I had told them that Jace had stopped by after no contact, and dropped him off. There was hesitation that filled the room as I told them. But they let the cat stay.

Jace had been home for a little of two weeks, and despite his gloomy mood with his emotions in a bad place, he still continued the list in a positive manner. I admired him for that.

Seventeen things were completed by the time Sunday rolls around. A hot air balloon ride, with a rope attaching the basket to the earth. And Spanish classes with the little amount of Spanish that him and his family knew. 

But the past couple days had been calm. Not many eventful things showing up. Jace would come and go, early in the morning after my parents left, and a few hours before they were expected back. 

The risk within our situation was manic. Causing tension between our relationship, keeping us on our toes at one creak of the door around lunch time or late in the afternoon. But it was tough to stay so far from someone you love, so young.

Today had been different. I slept in, not until mid afternoon did an engine arrive in my drive way, cutting off suddenly. The noise of the door downstairs caused my body to shift under the blankets, but remain where it was. I hear the creak of the steps one by one, until footsteps down the quiet hallway follow with his body leaning against the threshold of my open door. His smile lights up my room. I take it in while it lasts.

"Hi love" He welcomes himself to the edge of my bed. 

"Hey" I yawn, rolling myself out of the warmth of my bed, pulling it with me.

I don't bother to dress myself up, lately I was into not caring about what I looked like around him. He didn't seem to notice.  

"So, about the list"

"What about it?"

"I think we have to skip around, you might need to wait on the next one" 

"What is it?" I sit next to him.

He shifts, pulling the paper out of the pocket of his khakis, crumpled and worn. He hands it over to me.

I unfold it, my eyes travel down to the side labeled '18'.

have my own family .

"We can already cross that one off" I hand it back to him.

He looks down at it confused and looks back up at me,
"What, you mean Ralph?"

I shake my head, avoiding eye contact.

"Emily?"

"Look, you wont be happy. We need to talk"