The Black Canary

Do you ever get the feeling that you are completely and utterly alone? Like no one in the world gives a shit about you? Or that no matter what you do, you just feel this hollow, empty pit inside. No matter what anyone says or does, the feeling of despair and vacancy? All those horrible nights, crying yourself to sleep. All those days just staring into nothingness and not being able to do anything about it... Those horrible anxiety attacks out of nowhere. Let me be the first to ell you... you are most definitely not alone. I know all of those feelings... I deal with this shit all day, everyday. I have been dealing with this emptiness in my soul... this, insubstantial life! It never goes away! No matter what I do. I hate the taste of any alcohol, I do not under any circumstances smoke, and I do not have many friends to rely on. So I am no longer going to go through hours of therapy, and spend my money on useless pills. I will let the void in.

9 years later

 "Breaking News!! The criminal woman going by the name of The Black Canary has done it again! Earlier this evening we found 5 men dead at the bottom of The GCPD. There were no witnesses at the scene, which lead us to report that the Black Canary has not been found. If anyone has any news or information please inform Detective Jim Gordan immediately! That is all for tonight! I'm Melinda Diaz reporting to you live from The GCPD." 

"Oh give me a break. Those asshats had it coming to them!" I scuff

I get up from my couch and walk into the kitchen. I was upset that Melinda still thinks of me as a criminal. I mean I've done nothing but try and help this stupid ass city! I mean I left Starling City for that exact reason. The Arrow had everything under control, so I had no business being there. 

*Knock, Knock*

I snap my head up and grab my gun from under the table top, and slowly walk to my door. You could never trust anyone in this world, that was something I learned from my folks. I mean, I had to run away from almost every foster home because of it. I step on my tippie-toes to look through the peep hole and see a man in a GCPD uniform outside my door. I curse under my breath, and quickly but quietly to my room where I hide my gun and Canary outfit. 

"Who is it?" I call out innocently

"GCPD! Would you please open the door."

"Am I under arrest or something?" I ask as I open the door

"Hi ma'am, my name is Detective Bullock from the GCPD and I'd like to ask you a few questions. Is that alright?"

"Do I have a choice, detective?"

Bullock just smiles at me knowingly and I nod my head for him to go on.

"May I come inside?"

"NO, it's messy. Don't ever have visitors so I don't feel the need to clean every day. We could talk out here." I say firmly and shut my door.

Bullock's partner eyes me suspiciously, so I wink.

"Uh, Miss..."

"Lance."

"Miss Lance, it's to our understanding that you have a neighbor by the name of Aaron Helzinger. Is that correct?"

"You mean the tall ass buff man?"

"Yes, that would be him."

"Yeah he lives right there." I point

"Oh okay thank you! Does he ever come off as suspicious or dangerous?" 

I shake my head. "Never talk to him, why?"

"We're looking for him."

"Then go knock on his door." I say rolling my eyes