{ forty }

—

Jaebum quickly walked off campus, and to his car. His face was completely red; anger and from sadness streaming through him. Youngjae's car–that was usually parked next to his–wasn't there. Jaebum figured that he ran off to the place he went when he was upset.

Jaebum started up his car, driving around until he reached his destination. He pulled up into the parking lot of a pet store, sighing. This is where Youngjae would come when he was upset, since he loved animals. It wasn't too good for his allergies, but he always came here.

He was right, he could see Youngjae's car parked in the parking lot. Jaebum bit his lip, turning the car off and stepping out. He walks into the small pet shop, it not being busy at all since it was pretty late at night. He looks around, seeing Youngjae sitting in front of the fish tanks and watching them swim. He was sniffling, wiping his eyes. Jaebum slowly walks up to him, trying to keep himself together.

"Baby." He says, squatting down next to him. Youngjae doesn't look up, keeping his eyes on the fish.

Jaebum sighs, "Youngjae." He sits down next to him. "I'm sorry."

"You said you wouldn't do it again," Youngjae says, his eyes now darting to the ground. "You said that you wouldn't lose your cool."

"I was just trying to protect everyone," Jaebum says, "Soohyun was going to hurt them."

"You could've handled it differently." Youngjae says, "A way that didn't make me disappointed in you."

Jaebum bites his lip, "I-I'm sorry. Youngjae, please..."

"Please what? I don't want to be with a boyfriend who has anger problems." Youngjae says, sniffling.

"I don't have anger problems..." Jaebum says, covering his eyes.

"Yes you do." Youngjae says, "I've been angry before too but I've never purposely hurt someone."

"You don't understand..." Jaebum says, "He ruined my life. I was practically dead before you came into my life."

"That's not an excuse," Youngjae says, "You could've just walked away."

"No." Jaebum says, getting frustrated now. "No, I couldn't have."

"Stop arguing with me." Youngjae says, "You're acting ridiculous."

"No I'm not. If you knew what he did to me, it's pretty fucking logical." Jaebum says, gritting his teeth.

"I said stop arguing with me, Jaebum." Youngjae says, looking back at the fish. Jaebum could see the reflection of the tank in his dark brown eyes.

Jaebum sighs, not knowing what to say anymore.

"I'm changing roommates on Monday." Youngjae says, standing up.

Jaebum's eyes widen, "No, Youngjae! Please!" He stands up as well, grabbing his arm.

Youngjae slips out from his grasp, walking towards the parking lot.

"Youngjae, please don't, I'll be so lost without you!" Jaebum says, following him out. "I love you!"

"If you loved me, you would've taken my advice." Youngjae says, leaning against a lamp post.

"How many times do I have to say I'm sorry?" Jaebum says, tears trailing down his cheeks now. "Please don't let me go back to the life I had before I met you. P-Please."

Youngjae shakes his head, opening his car door. "I can't." He closes the door, starting up the car. He drives away, leaving Jaebum standing on the sidewalk as tears ran down his face.

;

Jaebum eventually made it back to the campus, walking back to Mark and Jinyoung's dorm. He walks in, gaining a look from everyone.

"Jaebum... You okay?" Mark says, as Jaebum leaves the door slightly open behind himself. He shakes his head, sitting down on the carpeted floor.

"Not in the slightest." Jaebum says, wiping his eyes. "He dumped me."

"What?" Jackson says, sitting up. "We're talking about the same Youngjae, right? The sweet one?"

"I guess." Jaebum says. "He's changing roommates on Monday..."

"That's crazy," Jinyoung says, "He must be out of his mind. You love him."

"Yeah." Jaebum says, biting his lip.

"And all because of Soohyun... That asshole," Mark says, scoffing.

"What even happened between you two, anyways?" Bambam says, looking at him.

"Don't ask him that right now, Bam," Jackson says, sighing. "He's in a tough place."

"No," Jaebum says, "You have the right to know. I'll tell you."

Jaebum sighs, biting his lip. "When I first came to this school last year, Soohyun was my first and only friend. He took me in and accepted me. We were best friends for a long time. We did everything together. I was like his wingman. We had so many good memories together, and I felt so good. I hadn't really ever had any good friends like that, so I felt so happy." Jaebum says, taking a shaky breath. "Then all of the sudden he said we couldn't be friends anymore. He said that he 'got what he wanted' from me and that he didn't need me anymore. He changed roommates and left."

Jaebum bites his lip, holding back tears. "I... became really depressed. I felt like the world was at its end, and my free trial of happiness was over. I sank so low that I stopped going to classes for a few months. All I did was sit in my empty dorm and cry. I felt like I had nothing to live for. Felt like I had failed at life, because I couldn't even keep one friend. I was so pathetic and alone."

Jaebum couldn't hold his tears anymore, watching as they hit the carpeted floor. "But this year when the new school year started, I met Youngjae. I felt like he practically saved me. He treated me so well. I was falling for him since day one. But after we dated for a while, he figured out about my anger problems. He tried to help me fix them, which is why he would always stop me when I said something too far. He always stayed so calm with me, and loved me unconditionally. But I guess tonight was the night he changed his mind. Like everyone else does." He finishes, covering his eyes as they overflowed with tears.

"Jaebum... If we knew we could have helped you..." Jinyoung says, scooting closer to him and pulling him into a hug. The others join in, wrapping their arms around him.

"We'll always be here for you." Mark says, "No matter what."

"Jaebum," A voice says, from the doorway. "I didn't know... That's how you felt..."

Everyone's eyes dart to the door, including Jaebum's.

"Youngjae." Jaebum says, letting out a sob.

a/n: my heart hurts

i hope you enjoyed!
please vote / comment, i really appreciate it!
thanks, ilysm~
-author em