Chapter 31: Caller I.D.

(A/N: Sorry, this chapter may be a little confusing, but the flashbacks and the present scenes may tend to overlap with each other. So, to avoid the confusion, the flashbacks will be italicized with a '~' before and after their sentences. Hope you guys understand, and sorry for the inconvenience...)

December 21, 20XX

I'm at home spending time with Chris as I was given the day off for today. Chris is still acting like his normal flirty self, but somehow, I feel like something's a little off with him today? He also gets a lot of phone calls recently.

I really hope it's just work...?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(...Yesterday...)

While I was walking back to my office alone, one of the nurses whom I've know of approached me. "Excuse me? Dr. Winterson?"

"Yes? Can I help you with something?" I smiled at her.

She then began to look around to see if anyone was close by, "I really think you need to know of something..." I then tilted my head in confusion, but since she wanted to tell me something, I lent her my ear for her to whisper in.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Chris then plops down on the sofa to sit beside me as I was just rummaging through the channels to find a good show to watch while he was washing the dishes a while ago.

"So Jade... What you wanna do for today?" he inquires of me happily.

"I don't know... Did you have anything planned out?" I peek over at him with my face still facing the television.

"Hmmm? Well, we could go out and walk a bit? Maybe go shopping? See a movie or two? And then-" his sentence was interrupted by a call. "Hold on a minute." he said as he pressed answer. "Hey Dennis! I told you I'm busy today, so can't this wait for tomorrow? 'Kay! Bye!" he said and immediately hung up.

As Chris placed his phone back in his pocket, it rang again. "Dennis! What the h*ll man?!" he yelled, then covered the phone, "I'm sorry Jade, he really wants me to take this." he asked and I mouthed him an 'it's okay' and he smiled at me and went into his music room to take the call.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As the nurse started to whisper things in my ear, I didn't want to believe that what I was hearing was true. Not now, not ever...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As I see Chris talking to his manager in his room, I then shakily pull out my phone and go to the contacts list. Chris is still talking as I can see him from the glass window on the door. I then press call.

Calling Manager Dennis...

Please let me be wrong...

Chris was still talking, and the other person on the end of my line picked up, "Hello? Jade? Why the sudden call?"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"It's the third day today that I've seen Chris walking together with some fancy-looking woman to this fancy-looking restaurant. I couldn't be mistaken, it was Chris. ... Are you guys doing okay?"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Oh, I just wanted to call and ask if Chris had any projects with you guys this month."

"He does, but he all submitted them early and even turned down a few, cause he wanted me to let him rest before the 15th came."

"Oh... Really?" I try not to sound too sad.