Chapter 23: Brighter Outcome

I gawk at the electrocardiogram monitor besides Chris' bed for no real reason. The green line just bounces up and down while letting out a beep while it measures Chris' heart rate, blood pressure and a lot more.

Then, my eyes turn to Chris himself. My expression wasn't calm, I was still worried for a lot of different reasons that all circled around Chris that I couldn't help myself and feel this way.

My hands then move on its own to touch Chris' cheek. I just wanted to touch him, to feel how he's doing, to know his body temperature that he's okay and just sleeping. But as I do so, I freeze in shock.

Something's not right! Why does Chris feel ice cold?!

As soon as the realization hits me, the beep suddenly turns flat and the deafening tone resounds in the room.

"Chris? Chris!" I start to yell. My hand then extends towards the nurse calling button. "Don't die on me! Please! I love you! I want to spend my forever with you! Please! I beg of you to keep on fighting! Chris!!!" I cry as I hold a firm grip to his hand, and no matter how many times I keep pushing the button, no one comes in the room.

Why isn't anyone coming?!

I then search for the defibrillator to maybe revive Chris on my own, since I know the process. But the odd thing is, the room seems cold and empty for a reason, the only thing that's filling the obscure silence is the thunderous flat tone of the cruel machine that's mocking me that Chris has already left me and has no plan to come back ever again.

Dr. Brown then enters the room after a while of me crying on Chris' chest. He lets me sit in place as he then slowly pulls the white blanket sheets over Chris' face. "Doctor! Chris can still be saved!"

He heaves out a huge sigh before speaking without even looking at me, "I'm sorry Jade. But you'll just have to accept that he's gone."

"No..."

"Jade... Chris is dead..."

"NO!!!" I shout as I then cover my ears and shout tons more of 'no's' at him.

I don't want to believe all of this! Chris isn't gone! Chris is simply resting! He'll be back! He'll wake up! Right? Right?!

I crouch down again to cry my eyes out, and I feel like slowly passing out too. Everything then slowly started to fade to black.

"de..."

"ade..."

What?

"Jade..." someone calls out my name while slowly trying to shake me from my sleep. "Oh good, you're awake! Did you have a nightmare?" asks the person who woke me up, and I adjust my eyes to the light and wipe away the tears that fell in my sleep.

My eyes then gradually adjusted to the images in the room and I look at the person. Somehow, it made me tear up again, but this time, they were tears of happiness, "This isn't a dream right?"

He pinched my arm so hard that I winced from the pain and he chuckled in satisfaction, "Did that answer your question?" he teases me.

I just somehow break down and run in to give him a giant hug and cry out his name, "CHRIIIISSSS!!!!!"

He was startled from my actions, "Whoah! Jade? ... I just fainted alright? Nothing's wrong..."

I had to give him a slap on the arm, but not too hard, "Stupid! You were out cold for almost three weeks now!!!"

"Three we-... I-I'm sorry Jade... I didn't know I was out that long... Was that also the cause of your bad dream just now?" he asked me as he brought his hand to my cheek and gently wiped off the tears that were trickling down.