Chapter 10: Sauce Stained Lip

Chris brought me to work again today and couldn't stop worrying over me the entire drive to the hospital. He couldn't stay, mainly, because I told him not to be creepy any more, and also because he had been called for a job.

While opening the door to my office, I was shocked to see someone in there before me, but ease out as I recall it's only Luke.

Luke faces me to greet me happily, "Good morning Jadey! How's the drive?"

"Good morning Lucky, it was alright..."

"Good to hear." he says as he continues what he was doing before I came in.

I got curious, so I asked him, "What time did you arrive? Eight-thirty is our late call time, right?"

He puts down his pen and turns his chair around to talk to me properly, "Yes, it is eight-thirty. And I arrived here around seven-twenty-five perhaps?" he thought, then continued, "I just wanted to be early to catch up with what you've already accomplished and see how I can help."

"Oh..." I let out, "But you don't have to be so early, you know."

He chuckles at me, "Yeah... I know." and as if just remembering something, he peeks at the door behind me and asks, "Is Chris not coming today?"

I had to laugh at Luke's question. Seriously, I didn't know he'd be thinking that, but Chris was pretty obvious yesterday. "Nope. I told him to behave and trust me, and he has work today too."

"Oh! That sounds great! I was nervous the entire time he was here since he kept glaring at me."

"Oh please! He wasn't glaring."

Luke raises his hands, "Whatever you say Jadey."

"He's just possessive and over-protective, that's all."

"Yeah... Too much to be exact!"

He then ponders about something and scratches his nose, he usually does this when he's shy of something. "Is he... Uhm... You know, that Chris you told me about in college that you were waiting for and he'd wait for you?"

It can be noticed in his tone that he had difficulty accepting the truth. Because, like in college, he got quiet whenever I start to talk happily about some guy he's never met, namely Chris. So, we got to the point where I told him too much and he started avoiding me, but he got over it after a few days and we went back to being chatterboxes.

"Yes Lucky, that was the Chris I've been talking about back then." I say in a non-arrogant tone to not make him feel bad again. He's the type to easily get depressed. Well, so is Chris, but he always has a comeback, Luke on the other hand, stays quiet for who knows how long.

"It's good that you guys finally got together then." he forced out a smile.

"Yes, we are happy together... But hey, if you start one of your depression stages again, I will slap you silly!" I taunted. Luke just forced out a laugh at me, so I retorted, "Seriously Lucky! I will slap you silly a hundred, no, a thousand times if I must!"

"Okay! Okay! Sheesh you're sarcastically cranky today." he finally laughs genuinely.

"Good! I better not see you sulking later on!" I warn him in a playful tone.

"Yes Jadey... Or should I say... Mommy!"

"Hey! You're older than me!" I whine as I was about to go through my papers.

"Doctor Jade~! Yesterday, I just saw this cute..." said Hazel as she bursts through the door, and got a mind block to suddenly say the words, "Th-This cute hell of a good-looking human being before me!"