Chapter 24: My Miracle

I woke up that morning to see no one beside me. Curious, I look at the clock. It's 9:13 AM. Jade is probably working in her office right now and she probably didn't want to wake me up so I could rest easy.

As if just realizing that I'll be staying in a hospital bed for a while, I scan the room as if memorizing everything in it. Then I notice a remote control by my table. It's probably a remote control for the bed to change forms or something. Holding the remote in my hands, the thought of 'Transformers' comes to mind and I point the remote forward while yelling out, "Auto-bots, ROLL OUT!!!"

When I clicked the button, the bed slowly moves and changes in form so I could sit down while having the soft bed be my back cushion. As I make myself comfortable, a laugh soon escapes from my lips on how childish I was being back there. If Jade saw that, she'd tease me for sure.

Moments later, there was a knock on my door. I turned to look to who it was; and slowly peeking from the door's entrance as it slowly opened was Hazel. "Chris! You're awake. Mind if I check up on you?"

"I don't mind at all. Go ahead." I smile at her.

As she prepares the stuff she'll need to examine me with, she starts having a little chat with me, "You know Chris, you had us all worried about you these past few weeks."

"I know, I know. I didn't expect that it'd turn out that way either."

"Jade was in so much pain that she wouldn't even go home and just sleep here for most of the nights. But it's great that you're doing better now." she says as she records my data on her papers.

"Yeah... I feel awful for her having to go through all of that."

"Well..." she says as she starts collecting her stuff, "Now that you're stable, you'll be discharged at anytime now if Dr. Brown says so. Oh! And I'll be bringing you your breakfast in a bit."

"Thanks Hazel..."

"Just doin' my job~!"

A few minutes after she left, another knock came on the door. "Come in!" I say to the person on the other side. He enters and raises his hand to greet me with a smile as he carries my breakfast in a tray with the other. "Get out." I say as I turn the other way. Still mad at him.

"And a pleasant morning to you too, Chris. I brought you breakfast."

"The food's going to be disgusting once I know you've brought it to me. Why couldn't you let Hazel bring the food?"

Luke grabs a little table to place on my bed to place the food on it so I could eat properly. "What if I delivered the food that Jade made just for you?"

"Guh!" He reeled in a devious question. "Of course I'd eat it and think it's delicious! It is my girl's cooking!" I bragged.

"Nice come back dude!" he laughed. "But sad to say that this is just the normal hospital food."

"Even I know that doofus!"

"Such kind words, huh Chris?"

"Save me the lectures and just get out of here." I brush him off as I was still upset with him.

"Before I go, can I share something with you? It's a serious matter, so I think you'd listen carefully."

I squinted my eyes at him in anger, but I let out a heavy sigh instead, "Fine, I'll listen to what you have to say."

Luke smiled at me, but I was still cross with him. He then walked to the window to stay there, then decided to talk, "Now before you retort to anything that I have to say, I want you to hear me out on the entire story before criticizing me of anything. Alright?" As if waiting for me to agree, I gave him a nod and he continued to speak.