Regular, Degular, Schmegular

Raine: One year ago; Age: 20.

I've been studying twelve hours a day for the past three days making sure I have every bit of information pertaining to my father's case. I will fight tooth and nail to get this great man out of prison. Miss Bernie starts blowing up my phone out of nowhere. I guess I had my head too far in the books to hear the first few times. One of the girls must have called in.

"Yes, Mrs. Lawrence?" I answered sweetly.

"I need you to do me a favor Rainey. And I told you before, you can call me Bernie," she sighed.

"Ok, Ms. Bernie, what is the favor?"

"My assistant just got caught attempting to steal something from me, and I was wondering if you would like to fill the spot. I'm willing to work around your school schedule and everything," she said.

I thought about it for a minute. Do I really wanna go in this deep with these people? Some of the things I've seen go on in that house just in six months is unbelievable.

"It comes with a thousand dollar a week pay raise. You would be salaried, so even if you're sick or something comes up, you'll still get paid," she added catching onto my hesitation.

"Will I only be an assistant for you, Ms. Bernie?" I asked. I really wanted nothing to do with Kendrick because I knew already what was going on between him and Ms. Bernie's last assistant. I knew they would get caught eventually.

"Yes ma'am, why do you ask?"

"No reason. Just wondering. When would you like me to start my new position?"

"Oh, you're taking it? Awesome! I will have you start Monday at seven. You are relieved this weekend from housekeeping, so you have more time to study. Don't kill yourself trying to study your father's case, Rainey," she scolded.

"Yes ma'am. Monday, seven o'clock AM I'm all yours," I smiled.

"Thank you, Raine. Take care," I felt her smile through the phone.

"You too, Ms. Bernie," I smiled harder hanging up the phone.

I lied back on my bed as my roommate, Emani, busted through my bedroom door.

"RaineyBaby! I need your help!" she plopped down on the bed beside me.

I laughed at her sad face, "What you need help with, ManiBoo?"

"I need you to go on this double date with me. Pat gotta friend that just moved back to town and he wanna take him out. I think my man cheating on me with him. We haven't even been alone in like two weeks!" she sighed.

I laughed harder, "The last time I went on a double date with you and Pat, the nigga he had for me looked like Welvin on them YouTube videos. I'm not about to fool wit y'all."

Emani pouted, "This one is fine though! His name is Tank and the nigga is like super fine. I mean, I love me some Patrick, but I would definitely have Tank as a sidepiece if I wasn't loyal."

I sighed and sat up, "Bitch he better be fine, too. And have goals. I'm not tryna be nobody's babymama or sidepiece. I'm one and only wifey material. Plus, he gotta match my fly."

"Oh my gawd, girl, check him out on IG," she pulled her phone out scrolling. I looked at the picture she stopped at and lil baby down under got hype! I mean super hype.

"That's the dude?" my eyes lit up.

"Bitch, yasss! Told you he is fine," Emani laughed.

I stared at the guy in the picture and kept thinking to myself that I've seen him before, but where?