Slight Work

Three years later; Age: 21.

Me, Garland and some dudes on the college basketball team were mobbing through the mall acting like normal people our age. All of us were #TeamNandoInc and had just got paid. I was ready to swipe the hell out of my card. I've been working so much all I paid were mine and my mom's bills so all of my extra money was just piled up.

When we pulled up in Foot Locker I saw a familiar face that made me smile a little. I tried talking to her a million times and something always got in the way of it. She assumed I didn't care any more and held a grudge against my entire existence since then.

"Ms. Rainey Day, wussuh?" I asked. I was trying to be petty about it. Only I called her that. She picked at her nails ignoring me.

"Raine. I know you hear me," I scooted down the counter getting closer.

"What, my nigga?" she scowled looking toward me. She didn't even look at me, she looked past me.

"We like that, Raine?" I asked sounding weak.

"Very much so, Jermaine," she crossed her arms.

"How many times do I have to apologize? We were kids. You can't hold that against me forever," I tried to touch her arm but she snatched away.

"I forgave you a long time ago, so you have no power over me. I just choose to not have words for you," she uncrossed her arms balling up her fists. I knew she could get gutta if she had to.

"Here's ya phone, Raine," the counter dude jogged up to the counter.

"Thanks, Chance. See you Tuesday night," she smiled.

I was salty as fuck. Who's this nigga and why is she seeing him on a school night? I sound like her daddy and shit. He recently reached out to me asking about Raine even though he knew damn well he ruined our relationship years ago. I'm glad this nigga locked up.

"You STILL pressed on Raine? Don't you got a girl?" G asked.

"Nah I was just tryna be nice. And she my girl for now. Bitch irritating," I sat my shit on the counter.

The girl I been dating for about three months is really irritating. She think she gon make a come up off me because I'm a K.I.T. (kingpin in training). The only female I provide for is my mama. That's it. We may go out on dates, but I'm not letting you trick off my dime.

We all paid for our items and left the store to go to the food court. On the way there, we saw Raine walking by smiling hard as shit with this nigga I've never seen before. He don't even look to be from around here. Pretty boy muhhfuckka.

"Jay, snap back to reality my dude. She gone. Ain't no goin back," G shook me.

"Man, forget her. I get my dick wet, that's all that matter," we slapped hands.

"Damn, right. I heard dude she with ain't shit anyway. You know that's Kendrick son?" my boy Leevi put in his two cents.

"S'word?" G asked.

"On mommy, my nigga. That's probably how he got her. You know her pops and his pops bein cool and all. Or was supposed to be cool," Leevi went on.

We got to the food court and sat down. "What you mean by that?" I asked.

"They was both counters and Kendrick flawed out and got Randall and some cops arrested," he said.

"Do he know?" I asked. This could be a topic of discussion the next time Randall call me.

"I don't think so. He only talk to his daughter and don't have nobody on his visitor list. I heard his bitch out though. I think Kendrick made a trade for her release," he shrugged and got up to get food.