28 • Marinette (UNEDITED)

(-Nightmare under Chloe's influence-)

I stood in the middle of the school, back at the ball, surrounded by thousands of students, every single person in the school. I was back into that silk dress I had created for myself again, but now the dress billowed out more, everywhere. My black hair was let loose, and clinging to my face like spiderwebs. There was a high level of unwanted, embarrassment and teasing in the air. There were faces in the crowds that I recognised, but the same faces that I couldn't recognise either. Because they were contorted into mean, snobbish, expressions, directed at me.
And they were all laughing.
Even Adrien, who stood next to me.
All of them, laughing at me.
"W-what? Why?" I stuttered, confused and panicked.
"Because you're a failure Marinette! Because you think you deserve Adrien. Because you suck at playing your little role as the famous little bug that saves Paris! Because you're a total joke!"
It was Chloe's voice, her voice that rang like bells in the depths of my mind, where her taunting hit home.

Because you suck at playing your little role as the famous little bug that saves Paris

Because you're a total joke!

I suddenly felt small, so small against their rambunctious laughter.
I slowly felt those dark emotions creeping up to me.
Embarrassment,
Anger,
Frustration,
Vengeance.
Hot, salty, tears sprung from my eyes. And I felt myself spinning around on the spot, wildly trying to search for a break in the crowds—to try and find a way out. But no one parted for me, and the crowds stayed as thick as ever. I dug the heels of my palm into my eyes, trying to brace the tears that kept on flowing out. I felt weak, my legs barely able to carry me, so I collapsed in a heap onto the ground, burying my head into my dress and letting the strangely cold fabric brush against my cheeks. The crowds started moving into my space, trying to trample me over.
Why did they hate me so much?
Why?
I'm a failure.
They don't want me.
I'm not cut out to be ladybug.
I don't deserve Adrien, and neither does he deserve me.
Adrien hates me.
They hate me.

There was darkness, a large, tidal wave of darkness.
And pain.
Physical, and mental.
It felt like toture, years and years of torture, all piled up into one, single, moment.

Faint, black, tendrils of darkness, raced through my mind, and started accumulating into a clay-like figure, but then stretched out and coiled up into the slight shape of a snake, no—an enormous, black serpent, that hissed and stared me down with coal-hot, red, gleaming eyes. I stood in my inner conscious, and tried to run, but it felt like as if I was moving through thick mud, with granite for feet and two chains with 100kg weights on each leg. The serpent tensed up, and raised it's head up, directing its attention to me.
And it was preparing, about to strike.

I fell back, onto my hands, pushed over by an unseen force. The giant snake noted this movement, and chose this moment to snake forwards its head, striking out quicker than I could comprehend.
The instant it came into connection with me, I let out a high-pitched scream of pain, my body racking with spasms as the unbearable sharpness of burning erupted through my head and down my spine. I came up coughing, sitting up straight unwillingly, trying to hack out the darkness clogging up my lungs. My eyes squeezed out more tears, and I cried out a please to whoever could help me at that moment.

But of course, there was no reply.

Eventually, the cold-blooded creature would strike, again and again. Relentlessly weakening me and causing me unbearable agony.

That is, until golden light crossed my vision.
A blanket of warmth broke out from somewhere unknown, filling me with joy and happiness, soothing my pains and healing what felt like my mangled body.
Slowly, I felt strength return to me, and my mind taking itself back over.
I was able to open my eyes to meet a pair of worried green ones.
I uttered the one word that floated into my mind.

"Chatnoir."

Confused? Well the next chapter should explain some stuff, but while I was writing this, I was thinking about how messed up this story has gotten, and how dark and completely off track it is from the original 'miraculous ladybug' show. I'd like to see what you think about it, and if there is any constructive criticism you guys would like to point out to me—I want to be able to improve and learn more things in writing this and making it a better and better. I love hearing all your thoughts in the comments section. Without so much support, I don't think I would've ever gotten this far.
TYSM everyone!

HL🐞