12 • Adrien

It was a black abyss. I stayed in place, scared to move. I couldn't even see two steps in front of me, how was I supposed to successfully navigate my way across the stage and down the stairs? If I took even five paces forward, I'm sure that I'd fall right off the stage. My hands were invisible to my eyes, so it wasn't like as if I could use them either.
    Confused gasps and shrieks rang around, everyone blind in the dark. Tension and shock so potent, that I could almost feel it like a living presence, wrapping its hands around me.
     However, even in the eldritch atmosphere, I didn't feel the tingles I usually would when it was an akuma attack. Maybe I was wrong, but my instincts told me that there was no need to panic. However, my paranoia seemed to scream at me.
    It was probably a prank, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    "Plagg?"
    A muffled response along the lines of 'camembert' was all I heard.
    "Plagg!" I whisper shouted, tugging at my suit pocket rattling the lazy kwami.
     The air rushes past my hair and whiskers brush my nose.
    "Oh what is it this time?" He whined, his large eyes glowing in the darkness.
    "Can you see in the dark?"
     Plagg's eyes shone in the darkness as he continued, "Yeah, well I am a cat kwami. But only if you give me more camembert!"
    "I haven't even told you to do anything yet!" I hissed, glaring at him in the dark.
    "But there's a reason you asked me," he drawled.
    I rolled my eyes. "Now let's find that light box."

🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞

  It wasn't all too difficult to get behind the stage, but I did stumble and almost face-plant down the stairs... which probably wouldn't have made me look like the smartest person in the world. It made me really glad that the lights were out, so that the darkness would cover up my stumble.
    "Come on, come on," Plagg drawled, "we haven't got all day you know."
    I rolled my eyes. "I'm going as fast as I can, you demanding little kwami." I shot back, my nerves hitting a small jolt of annoyance. I was completely blind, and I had to rely on Plagg, of all  things good, to be my guide dog. It was like following an over-excited, untrained puppy who never listened to his instructors at 'guide-dog school'.
    The only hint of 'where to go' that I had was his voice, which was filled with additional, unhelpful phrases that made guiding me a heck of a lot more confusing.
    Eventually, after what felt like years of scrambling in the dark (when in reality was only a few minutes) a torch cut through the darkness, only barely smothered by a jacket.
    However, that was more than enough for my trained eyes to focus, and glimpse the person's face.
    Lila?
    The girl was hunched over her phone, one hand on a large lever that was obviously the main router to the electricity that powered the gymnasium lights. When I focussed my eyes further, I could tell that her hand was clutching the phone so tight that the whites of her knuckle were showing. Her brows were drawn, and she was scowling deeply. My keen sight could even spot the glint of fury in her eyes as her head whipped up at the sound of my approach.
    "What's that? Who's there?" She asked, caught off-guard as she whipped her head around.
    "It's me." I replied, unsure of how to answer.
    Most people never saw it, because I didn't like to deceive, but as a kid, I'd always had this ability to get away with telling a lie (unless there was solid evidence). And so it also made it easier for me to pick them out as well — Lila being one of those people.
    I saw through her lies. I could see them building. I knew that, one day, she would be buried under all her lies. If one. Just one, were to fail, on the day that she runs out of material, then her entire being would crumble.
    She dug herself a hole too deep.
"Who are you?" She asked.
    I moved closer. "That depends on if you're willing to share what you're doing."
   She squinted in the darkness. Her face seemed slightly spooked by the disembodied voice.
    "Well whoever you are, show yourself. I have no patience for this." She hissed, giving up on trying to pierce the darkness and instead taking a step back and crossing her arms. 
    I bit my lip, not a hundred percent sure how to handle the situation.
"Tell me why." I said, finally deciding on what to say.
"Why what?" She snapped, her head whipping back and fourth — paranoid.
"Why choose to do this? — Actually, better question, what are you doing right now? What's the big plan?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.
She bit her lip, unsure. Then, after a long minute of hesitation, sighed. "I can't tell you that."
"Would it change things if I told you who I am?" I continued, treading carefully.
"Depends," was her short, clipped answer.
I pondered for a second, then, my Chat Noir side began to act up. "Okay, then let's play a game. Tell me about you and I'll tell you about me."
Her eyebrow raised. "Really?"
I grinned. "Sure. Are you willing?"
She rolled her eyes. "I'm Lila Rossi, Italian, born in Venice, spent the majority of my childhood here — in Marseilles, and recently went to America. My family is loaded, because we have certain connections to the acting and movie-production industry. My mother specialised in fashion and my father is a film director. I've met a great many celebrities in my life and been to Beijing, Hawaii, Athens, Moscow and Los Angeles. Bali and New Delhi were okay too, but normally, I don't count them as places I've been because they were a bit lacking in quality — I mean, free massages and five-course meals are so last year. Also, I can speak six different lang—"
"You started lying from the moment you commented that your family was rich." I said, my words not quite sharp, and taking no-nonsense.
She stopped abruptly, shock flashed across her features at being caught out. "W-well, my family's pretty comfortable. They may not exactly be extravagant..."
I frowned. "Lie."
Her forehead creased in agitation. "I'm not lying," she gritted out.
"Mhm," I nodded, my tone clearly sarcastic. "Your left eyebrow lifts and your hands go behind your back when you're lying." I stated, deciding to go closer one step.
She gaped.
I smiled, knowing I'd caught her.
   "Look Lila, I can play the bluffing game all day. And because, unlike other people, I see through your lies, that should give you enough reason to tell me anything I need to know." My words held weight, but my conscience began to chide me, especially as a look of real fear flittered across her face.
    "You wouldn't do that. You wouldn't dare do that. My... my best friend is the daughter of the mayor, and she'll give you hell if you dare spill a word about anything." Lila stuttered, but she'd already been shaken.
    I sighed. "Yeah, well, however tempting it might be, you're right. I wouldn't."
   At that, Lila breathed out a sigh of relief.
    I narrowed my eyes, "but that doesn't mean that I don't still want a favour. If you don't want to tell me what the big plan is, fine. But I'll make a deal with you. I'll help you — I'll help you get by, make friends, or continue on your life without having your lies be your downfall, but only if you promise to keep an eye out for Marinette."
    Lila was silent for a moment. "You would do that?"
    I quickly said, "yes."
   A look of suspicious flittered upon her features. "How would you help me if I don't know who you are?"
    I smirked. "Why not turn the lights on and find out?"
    She only hesitated for a beat before she pushed down on the lever, and my night vision faded as the dim lighting blinked on once again.
    Her face was tight with scrutiny as she viewed me clearly for the first time. I realised that my mask was still hiding my face as her eyes narrowed in anger at being tricked. Quickly, I ripped the black fabric off my face.
    "Hi Lila." I said awkwardly, suddenly feeling shyer and more polite all at once.
    "Adrien...? Adrien Agreste?!" Her voice raised a decibel as she realised who I was, the shock on her face was one that would rival any surprise birthday party.
   "Yes, yes, please keep it down!" I whisper-shouted glancing around us quickly for anyone who may have eavesdropped, even when there was no one else. "I want to keep you out of trouble, not get you into more!"
   Slowly, she zipped her mouth and nodded.
   I nodded back and crossed my arms. "Is the deal on?"
   Lila looked torn between decisions and a war waged behind her eyes as they glazed over for a bit. Then, with a resounding sigh, she reached out her hand. "Fair deal. I'm in."
    I smiled, taking her hand and giving it a firm shake. "I'll keep my word if you'll keep yours."

🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞

    "Thank you for your cooperation tonight, and although we've received some unexpected surprises, let it not get in the way of our festivities tonight." Mr. Damocles paused. "We will come straight back to announcing the results for the best dressed individual of the night. Adrien Agreste, may you please make your way back onto the stage?"
    "Désolé monsieur Damocles!" I shouted in apology. I appeared from the backstage, making it only just in time. "I was busy attending to the situation with the lights." I explained.
    I returned to the stage with less than a minute to spare, only just managing to shoot Madame Bustier a thumbs up before sliding into my spot where I was announced as the King of the dance.
    A stunned Mr Damocles blinks and then clears his throat.
    "Thank you. Now, for tonight's best dressed female goes to... Marinette Dupain-Cheng!"
    He gestures towards someone who I think is Marinette. My heart gave a little thump of relief as I recognised her spotted Ladybug dress and mask, the dark hair and well-made dress. She made her way to the stage in careful movements, but still attended to the crowd by awkwardly waving at them. I gave her a comforting smile as she went over to Mdm. Bustier to receive her delicate tiara, and when she'd lifted her head back up, she came over and slid into her spot next to me. She grinned at me widely, and nodded with a thanks to the teacher when she congratulated her.
    "Isn't it a wonderful night?" Marinette asked, her gaze straight and directed at the crowds rather than me.
    "Yes. Yes it is." I replied.
    She turned to me and clasped her hand around mine. Her hands were cold, but other than that, I didn't feel the sparks that usually appeared. I guess that should've been my first hint, but I took no notice of it.
    "Hey Adrien?"
    "Yes Marinette?" I said.
    Her finger went to the loose strand by her ear, and she twirled her hair. "I was thinking, date at Notre Dame midday tomorrow?"
   Odd, I didn't expect her to be the first to ask me out on a date, but that didn't mean that I didn't welcome the news. "Sure." I said, squeezing her hand.
    Little did I know that the girl standing next to me was an imposter.

YEEEEEESSSSS!! I finally did it! I finished editing this damn chapter, and I'm not 100% proud, but 78% is good enough. I'm just relieved that this is no longer a half-edited chapter. 😂
I swear, it's taken me at least four months to get through this, so be glad. 😅

Anyways, as per usual, comment, vote and stuff. 💕
~HL🐞