o24.

Rakim drove like a mad man to the hospital; swerving in and out of the lanes. He told me he had just went to the doctor with Trisha two days ago and everything was fine. The whole drive there I prayed to God that the little one made it through this. I remembered what it was like when I thought I was about to lose my baby due to stress and all that other shit. It's a feeling that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

      Rakim pulled into the nearly vacant parking lot of the emergency room and we prayed once more for the baby's health. Rakim ran out of the car and into the building.

"Ka'trisha Walter?" he asked frantically as I wobbled up behind him, finally catching up.

"She's in room 323 in the Birth and Delivery wing," the nurse answered.

     When we made it to Birth and Delivery, I saw all of Trisha's family members huddled around her room door crying. My heart was breaking in pieces as I prepared myself for the bad news. Dagger looks were being thrown at me as I walked in behind Rakim. These stupid motherfuckas trying to be on some beef shit with me while their daughter, sister, niece, cousin, etc. is laying in the bed with a baby that's fighting for his or her's life. Mind boggling. I assume Rakim sensed the tension, because he grabbed my hand and lead me into the room close behind him.

"What the fuck she doing here? I told yo ass not to bring that dumb bitch!" Addison, Trisha's friend from the mall, shouted in Rakim's face. Not this bearly bitch again.

"Look Addy, I ain't-" Rakim began.

"Ion wanna hear no fucking excuses. Tell that bitch to go wait in the car, befo' they be admittin' her into this bitch! I still ain't forgot about that slick shit her and her friend tried to pull at the mall. She better be glad-"

"ADDISON SHUT THE FUCK UP!" Rakim yelled to cut her off. Fear filled her eyes as anger laced his. "I really don't give a fuck about how none of y'all feel about Harlem. Point, blank, period. She's with me and will play just as big of a part in this baby's life as me. Now ain't the time nor place to be on no petty ass beef shit. Move around." He brushed passed her and walked smoothly into the room where Trisha was stretched out on the hospital bed.

"Rakim, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I should have stopped smoking when the doctor warned me," Trisha cried. Her voice was so weak. "Harlem, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for fucking with you at the mall and then lying on you to Rakim."

"Shhh," I whispered and gently massaged her hair. "It's ok sweetie. All is forgiven. Calm down and tell us what's wrong."

"Karma is out to get me for all the fucked up shit I've done that's what. I was smoking on my porch when I began to feel weak. I tried to make it into the house, but my legs gave out on me and I fell. My moms heard the bang and rushed me here." Her voice softened and tears poured more rapidly down my face. "I lost her, Rakim. I lost our baby. She suffocated from smoke inhalation."

"It was a girl?" Rakim asked calmly. "You smoked weed you was pregnant with my baby? My baby girl?"

"Rakim I'm sorry. I tried to stop, but-"

"YOU CONTINUED TO SMOKE WHILE YOU WAS PREGNANT WITH MY FUCKING CHILD, NOW SHE'S DEAD AND ALL YOU CAN SAY IS SORRY??! I DON'T BELIEVE THIS DUMB SHIT!"

     Rakim smashed his fist clean through the hospital wall and dashed out of the room. I ran behind him, trying to keep up. He suddenly stopped and dropped down to his knees. He wrapped his arms around my waist and cried on my stomach. "I promise I'll stop smoking in the house. Promise me you'll try to keep your stress level down. Promise me that you won't lose this baby."

His tears were heavy and voice was distraught. "I promise Rakim. God makes no mistakes baby. Everything will be alright."

"I need you two in my life. I love you Harlem and you too baby Jumpy." Rakim rose up my shirt, and kissed my exposed stomach. He whispered a few words to my stomach that I couldn't hear, but they caused baby Jumpy pure excitement, because he was moving uncontrollably. That's how he got the nickname Jumpy; he's so active.

"We love you too baby. We'll be here to help you get through this tramatic experience."

He got off of his knees and kissed my lips. "I want to go talk to Trisha before we go. I need to apologize."

"I'll give y'all some alone time to talk. I'ma go to the hospital's cafeteria."

"Go ahead fatty," Rakim laughed. "See you in a lil bit."

I pecked Rakim lips once again, then we went our separate ways. I walked down to the cafeteria to get me and Rakim a to go plate. "I want two plates with fried shrimp, mashed potatoes with gravy, and two rolls on both. On one add carrots and the other green beans."

"Sure thing, Harlem. Still like those steamed carrots I see." Confused, I looked up to see Paris's face behind the counter in a hair net. I didn't know how to feel about seeing her. We hadn't spoken since the fight we had. "You're glowing and your pretty little face is all fat. This pregnancy looks good on you."

"Thanks," I replied, awkwardly.

"I'm sorry about everything and I hope I get an invitation to the baby shower. I really miss you, Harlem. Hopefully we could put the past behind us and become best friends again."

"Uh, I would have to think about that. Rakim needs me right now and I have to be there for him."

"Say no more. My number's still that same whenever you want to talk." Paris come from around the counter and gave me a hug. Hesitantly, I hugged her back. "Here's your food. Hope to hear from you soon."

     I picked up two Sprites for Rakim and I. I grabbed the two Styrofoam plates and made my way up to the checkout line. After paying for the food, I walked out to the car and saw Rakim waiting for me. I got on the car and we retreated back home.