Chapter 17

Demi's POV

I wait patiently on the couch in the living room, tapping my fingers against my knee. My heart feels like it's racing at one hundred miles an hour. The look on his face the last time I hurt him flashes through my mind suddenly. That was the moment I knew I messed up. Seeing him like that tore me apart, I don't want to see him hurt ever again.

The door bell rings making me jump.

"Come in!" I shout not ready to come face to face with the boy that has me going crazy. The door opens slowly revealing a worried looking Niall. His blue eyes scan the room until they land on me. I instantly feel my cheeks become warm. He smiles sweetly walking over to the couch, sitting nicely next to me.

"So what's up?" He asks his eyes not leaving mine. I feel the last piece of my wall completely break off.

I let out a small sigh, "Niall... I..."

His eyes watch me intently as I try to find the right words to say. Why is this so complicated? I open my mouth, but no words come out. This is going terribly.

"I saw your mum the other day." He suddenly says.

My eyes grow wide, "You what?"

His eyes finally break away from mine, trying to find something to look at besides me. Niall met my mother? I can only imagine what she has told him. Probably about how pathetic I am acting, or maybe how I wouldn't leave her house the week Niall and I weren't talking.

"Yeah. She told me a few things." Just as I thought. I want to get mad, but something in his eyes changes. They're not light and full of happiness like they always are. Instead they appear dark, almost angry.

"What did she-"

"Why didn't you tell me about him?" His voice is low and musky. I'm almost about to as who, but somehow I know exactly who he's talking about.

"I didn't know what to say." I tell him feeling a little uneasy now that he knows some parts of my past. Yeah, mostly everyone knew about Joe and I dating, but I didn't want people to know the details. Niall knows the details now.

"You could've told me he's the reason... The reason you..." He trails off running his fingers through his hair, showing off his dark brown roots for a short moment.

"The reason I what?" I whisper watching his jaw clench.

"The reason you won't be with me." His words are soft. My heart seems to stop for a second. I don't know what to say to that. That isn't the only reason I don't want a relationship, but it's a large portion of it. Trust is something you need in a relationship and trust is something that I ran out of. I can't trust anyone.

"Niall..." I reach out for his hand, but he pulls it back. His eyes flicker back to mine sending chills throughout my body.

"Tell me." He mumbles.

"Tell you what?" I ask confusion clear in my voice.

He closes his eyes, "Tell me that's the reason." His eyes open again, "Demi I would never hurt you like that, you know that. I will stay by your side through thick and thin. Please trust me."

"I want to. But..."

"Why can't you just trust me Dem?" He cups my cheek in his hand, making my stomach erupt into millions of butterflies. Why can't I trust him? Oh yeah, I don't want to be heartbroken again. That's the worst feeling in the world. Being broken hearted. I let myself fall for someone who I thought was there to catch me. But instead he let me hit the cold hard ground that is reality.

I grab his hand in mine, pulling it gently away from my face. We look into each other's eyes for a few brief moments, taking in the sweet silence of the room.

"Niall, I'm broken. There's nothing you can do to change that." I say softly hoping he couldn't hear. He frowns, pushing a piece of my hair behind my ear.

When I think he's going to leave like everyone else does, he begins to lean in. Closer and closer until his lips are centimeters from my ear. "I can try..." His words are like music to my ears. Something about them giving me hope inside. He pulls away, looking from my eyes down to my lips. I should pull away, I should tell him to stop. But I can't. I can't bring myself to it.

He notices I'm not pushing him away this time, so he leans in until our lips are an inch apart. I feel my heart beat against my ribcage. He brushes his lips on mine, making them tingle. This is so wrong, but somehow it feels right.

"Kiss me." I breath out not regretting my words for a moment. If this was two months ago, I wouldn't even have let him two feet near me. But now, now my wall is down. He found his way into my life and I think, maybe for once, I found someone who is willing to stay in it.

"Okay." He breaths before pressing his lips against mine. His lips are warm and gentle, moving in sync with mine. The kiss is soft and sweet, warming my insides. I run my fingers through his hair, something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I feel him smile against my lips as he places his hands on my hips, pulling me closer.

I try deepening the kiss, craving more and more of him. Everything about Niall is perfect, something I'll never be. He pulls away, out of breath, and looks into my eyes. This time it's different, everything will be different between us now. And if I'm being completely honest with myself, I don't know if I'm ready for it.

"Goodnight Demi." He whispers before standing from the couch. My eyes watch him cross the room.

"Wait!" I say suddenly catching not only him, but myself off guard. "Please stay..." I practically beg. I don't want him to leave me. I want him to wrap his arms around me. Make me feel safe for once.

He seems hesitant before nodding, "Alright."

I get up and grab his hand, leading him up the stairs to my room. I throw the covers up, climbing in. Soon I feel his body press to my back as he wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me to his chest. I feel warm and calm.

"Goodnight love." He kisses my temple.

"Goodnight Niall." I say before closing my eyes. The last thing I remember is being happy. I feel happy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Stay Strong <3

~Lexi W.