chapter 1

~Sam's p.o.v.

" Sam! Get cigarettes and more beer from the corner store! " was the first thing I heard when I stepped foot in the door.

I rolled my eyes and mentally groaned walking back out to head over to the corner store.

The door bells chimed as I walked in through the glass doors of  'Ronny's liquor store ' .

" Hey Sam ." Ronny greeted behind the counter, grabbing a pack of cigarettes and a 12 pack of beer.

" Hey Ronny, how's the family?" I asked giving him the best smilei could gather after the long day i had.

" Well. Thanks for asking." he said punching in the total. "Is that all?" he asked.

" Umm. . ."I looked behind me at a rack of chips, "I'll get some hot Cheetos." I said putting them on the counter.

" On the house." he said smiling.

" Nope." I said giving him 30 dollars. Much more than what everything really cost.

" Sam, I'm serious, its on the house. its just a bag of chips. It's the least I could do." he bargained giving me my money back.

I gave him a stern look " Look, Ronny. Like you said, they're just chips. Its fine. And keep the change." I smiled grabbing the 12 pack and stuffing the smokes in my sweater pocket and chips in the small bag.

" Sam-"

" no. Ronny, I've told you this since the beginning." I said placing the money in the to jar he had on the counter.

He didn't push it any further. He just smiled and put the money in the cashier. " Hey sam. . ?"

I turned around, " Yeah?"

" I hope things get better soon for you." he smiled sympathetically.

I returned a smile as well and said, " I hope so too."

Then walked out.

.........

" Mom! I got your things!" I called out when I stepped in the house.

I didn't hear anything, so I walked over to the counter and saw the pile of mail. I shuffled through them looking did something in particular.  Bills, bills, bills, ah! My progress report!

My fingers opened the slap of the envelope and retrieved the paper that was inside.

Unfolding it, I scanned over my grades.
A in Geography,
A in Biology,
A in Health,
A in English,
and A in Art.

" Where are they?" I heard her ask.

" Here." I handed her the smokes and slid the box of beer.

" Is dinner ready?" she asked irritably. She opened the box of beer, taking a can. It popped open with a snap making me flinch at the loud noise.

" I just got here." I answered quietly as to not make her angry.

" And?" She gave me an expectant look. Her darkened eyes were piercing through me in the way they always intimidated me.

I bit my lip, restraining myself from saying anything that will send her over the edge. I did that once and i never want to go back to that again.

" I'll go start on it." I replied.

" Good girl." she smiled showing her brown rotting teeth.

" One more year and I'll be gone, one more year.  . " over and over again i said it, hoping that if i said it enough, it would eventually come true.

------------

My alarm woke me up the next morning . A light breeze coming in through the white curtain of my bedroom window.

I rubbed my eyes, sighing to myself, " It's finally Friday."

It was silent, until my eyes widened in realization. " Its Friday!"

I got out of bed and hurried to my closet finding a black hoodie and black jeans. Throwing them on, I slipped on my old DC's and grabbed my back pack while putting my hair in a loose ponytail.

When I got to the kitchen, I placed my bag down and started on mom's coffee. I brought out the toaster and bread, then reached in one of the cabinets for 2 asprins and a water bottle. I took them to my moms room and opened the door. As it creaked open , I tiptoed to the side table and placed the items there.

When I walked out, the toast and coffee were done, so I turned the coffee off placing the toast on a napkin. Then after spraying some ' I can't believe its not butter !' I headed out the door to my beat up, old car.

The cold winter breeze blew through my bangs and I wrapped my sweater closer to me. It's weird how here in the town i live in,  It could be blazing hot one day,  then freezing cold another.

My car beeped as I unlocked the door. I got in, turning the key as it took some time to fully run. Once it did, i smiled in appreciation.  I turned on the heater, the glass windows beginning to fog up.

I flicked on the windshield wipers and fastened my seatbelt,  then i was on my way to school.

----

As i parked my car the bell rang and I ran to first period, Geometry.

The late bell rang right when I sat down in my seat. Bringing out my binder I opened it going to the Geometry section. I took out my notebook and a pencil.

" Hello class." Mr. Solomon greeted flashing a smile to everyone. The girls made googly eyes at him.

I don't know how this happened, but Mr. Solomon is barely in his 20's and he is pretty attractive if I must say. How can he be so young and already major in Geometry?

" Alright class, today we aren't really going to be starting on a new section, so you guys are able to quietly visit while I grade tests from yesterday." the class cheered and soon everyone was walking to their friends to start talking.

I got up and walked over to Mr. Solomon's desk. He looked up and smiled. " Ms. Devry, how can I help you?" he asked.

" I was wondering if I could get a review sheet of what were going to be doing for the next week so I could start studying ."

He smiled, and opened a drawer taking out a paper." Here you go, I knew you were going to ask for it, like always, and I happened to be prepared." then gave it to me

" Thanks Mr. Solomon." I walked back to my desk and started looking over the review.

" She's just trying to get on his good side." i heard someone whisper, but i ignored it.

" No, she's trying to get at him." another voice spoke.

" She doesn't even have a chance, we don't need to worry about her." said another voice I didn't recognize.

The rest of the Day pretty much went the same, soon it was the end of the day.

By the time I got home, my mom was on the couch drinking, holding a ciggarette in between her fingertips while she flipped through channels. I pinched my nose, trying not to smell the smoke as I went to my room to take a quick shower and get ready.

After I had showered, I slipped on my new clothes I had bought the weekend before exactly for this occasion. I had gotten a soft long black coat that goes to my thighs, a black tank top, a black/white light purple flowered scarf, a black and white zigzagged skirt with a thin belt, black leggings, black boot heels, and a brown bag. ( picture on the side )

I then curled my hair and added just some black eyeliner and mascara to my face along with some lipgloss .

I looked in the mirror and smiled," One Direction. . . here I come."

* *************

Hope you liked this chapter, I tried to make it as long as I could.

please vote and comment

love you!!