Part 36

Becca POV

So far my grandfather had been shielding our contact with our worried families back home. As an elder major he was greatly respected so little could be done to stop him and that suited us just fine. We made our way to Maison de Baltour, it was an old imposing structure tucked away on the outskirts of Lille. The area was remote and the buildings looked like they had been around for centuries.

We walked into the imposing building to find that inside was suitably modernised. It wasn't musty or had that creepy old house smell.

A tall thin woman approached us. She looked like school librarian.

'Elder Major follow me.' She turned around and led us down a small corridor. There were several old paintings and shelves filled with books lining the corridor walls. We stopped at double stained glass doors which the woman opened and pointed us to enter. We stepped inside a huge library and the woman closed the doors behind us. There were two floors filled with books and tables and chairs scattered about. A few people were inside.

'Wow this place is huge.' Ann commented.

'There must be millions of books here.' Mia said her eyes alight with interest.

'My darling.' I looked at my grandmother making her way to us followed by two other women.

'Nan.' I gave her a hug.

'You young lady are brave to do this in your condition.' My grandmother chided as she touched my tummy. 'Your mate is beside himself with worry.'

'I had to come Nan.' I told her defiantly.

'You have never done anything in halves; you have always been the defiant one. Although I objected to them sending you away for so long, Looking at you now, I think it helped to make you more mature.' My Nan said giving me another long hug. 'I missed you Becca.'

'My dear.' my grandfather went to his wife and they kissed briefly and the look of love passed between them.

'Hello girls how was the journey. We must thank your brother Mark Clare for ensuring this feat happened.' My Nan continued.

Clare smiled as my Nan led us to the back of the room. It was set up like a classroom with several desks. Most of them were filled with books and at least ten people were going through them.

'A beautiful white haired woman stood at the front. She was dressed in a light green dress. She had an ethereal look about her. She stopped what she was doing and came toward us.

'Rebecca it is such an honour to finally meet you.' She embraced me and I could feel such power within her. Her aura was very strong. 'I am Queen Kismet.'

'Thank you are you really a fairy?' I asked feeling the aura surround us.

'Yes my child, I remained in this realm to ensure that you were safe and with the prophecy nearing the end we must be more careful to ensure this child is born. He is a special one.' She touched my stomach and I felt the child move within me as if he was moving toward her hand. It was very weird.

'Your protectors were found out and they have been put in a sleepless state.' Queen Kismet was saying.

'My protectors? You mean my bodyguards?' I asked puzzled.

'No Tessa and Adrian. They were assigned to you from birth. They are fairies who change to ensure you are always protected.' I looked at the queen in awe then at my friends.

'You mean Tessa is a fairy?' the queen nodded.

'There are several fairies who dwell among us to ensure that Queen Almeira's words come to fruition. They walk among us as protectors. When my kind decided to leave this realm after the war, the Grand Meeting let us go on one condition that protector fairies would remain to ensure that all were safe.'

The queen's words were surprising. My friend Tessa was a fairy, who knew?

'So all my life there have been fairies around me?' I wanted to know for sure.

'Yes my child, everywhere you go including Alaska, Fae was one of your protectors there.' I gasped as I heard the name of my former roommate.

'So that explains it.' I said softly as the queen looked at me knowingly.

'Yes that night Tessa ensured the prophecy took place.' I blushed feeling uncomfortable with what went on that night being spoken openly.

'Now, I know Van Gogh is behind these attacks, he has summoned the valcans again. I felt when the portal opened.' The queen was now standing at a fountain which appeared to be a monitor. I saw a man who looked very old standing at a window. He turned around and we gasped. He was severely disfigured. His skin tight and stretched. His face looked like it had been slashed repeatedly with a knife. His eyes were the only thing on his face that looked normal. The man paced around his office but he was not looking concerned the smile on his face was frightening.

'Is that Van Gogh?' I asked and the queen nodded.

'He lives to ensure the curse disappears but we can defeat him. I suggest you remain here with me until you have the child. Van Gogh will use any means to get to you.' I panicked

'You want me to remain her with you for six months?' I was starting to believe my hasty decision to leave Blade was a bad idea. 'I can't I mean what about Blade?'

'It is best he is away from you.' I did not like that one bit.

'No, he is my mate if we are apart for too long, it could kill me.' I debated. The queen raised her hand.

'Oh Rebecca, that won't happen but once you stepped foot in my home I have an obligation to protect you and this child.'

'But ...' I protested I turned to my grandparents who looked just as sad. My Nan stepped forward to comfort me.

I was sad the rest of the day. I could not believe I was conned to come to France by my own grandparents. I understood that the queen had good intentions but I did not know how I would survive with my family. I let myself admit it. I loved Blade Wyatt; he had somehow grown deeper in my heart over the last month. I loved our banter, our rapport. I loved that he knew how to rile me u and how to make me feel secure. Who would have guessed I would fall for him and so hard. I missed him. I would miss him a lot.

'Can I call him?' I asked later that day. The queen looked at me and stood up from behind her desk although she was centuries old her beauty was that of a woman in her mid-twenties full of life and innocence. Her hair cascaded down her back all the way to her ankles. It was pure white and looked very silky. She came to me and held my hands.

Again my child moved within me.

'I will allow one call for now. We cannot disclose your location to anyone. I will let your friends go back to their families but I will erase any memory of your escape. I will erase from before the plan to ensure no one had any idea how you came to be here.'

She went to her desk and picked up a pouch. 'You must give this to Mia, her aura is so pure, I will instruct one of the fairies to collect it from her. It will help Tessa and Adrian defeat the spell cast on them.'

I was dumbfounded. 'All this information about Tessa and me not returning home is too much for me.' I sat down and cried.