Chapter 10

Chapter 10

                “So…”  Angeline steps onto the sidewalk in front of their hotel, and smoothes out the stylized white robe that signified her station as a member of the Order.  It was standard-wear when hunting Daemon, both to let the citizens know that there was trouble in their midst… and to more-readily identify their deceased remains from those of regular individuals, should a worst-case-scenario happen to play out.   “Are we just going to stroll around the streets, calling out names of corruptive spirits, or do you two actually have a plan?”

                Gawain issues a hearty laugh as he finishes attaching a halter at his chest that held a massive two-handed claymore at his back.  “Of course we have a plan!”  He looks towards his beautiful mate, and offers her a conspiratorial grin.  “Isn’t that right, Hilde?”

                Hilda gives off a girlish giggle as she peeks towards the slim male in the tight leather get-up.  “Naturally.  Gawinnie and Samuel will wander the streets while Angie and I will take to the rooftops.  We’ll need her eyes in the best vantage point…”

                The wiry confidant pauses in checking the fit of his various sheathes to cast a curious glance to his Master’s female friend.  “Mistress’ eyes?”

                Raising a brow high up on her forehead as she peeks between the puppy and his owner, the pudgy woman then finally settles her gaze on the younger mage.  “You… didn’t tell him?  About you being a Watcher?”

                “HmphNo…”  the golden-haired girl pushes out her lower lip as she tightens the fit of her rapier’s belt.  “And I wasn’t gonna, either.”

                “She can tell when people are even minutely-affected by corruptive spirits.”  Heaving his shoulders in a shrug, the bearded male then displays a small frown towards the younger of the two women.  “Why’re ya holding back, Ange?  Y’like the lad, doncha?”

                The larger caster shoots a warning-look to her mate before spinning on her heel.  “Leave them be, sweetie.  Let’s go, sugar.”

                After watching the older arcanist rapidly float towards the tops of the square-set buildings on the opposite side of the street, the teenage girl then turns and paces towards her companion while shooing the Knight away.  Once the other male is a safe distance from them, she reaches her hands up to better arrange the cords of rope looped over her confidant’s chest, and purses her lips together in a display of concern.  “L-look… I… didn’t want to say anything because-“

               “Your dog…” Samuel tucks the long bangs at the right of his face behind an ear as he searches his Master’s features.  “What was he like?”

               “M-my…” a small hint of a smile graces Angeline’s lips as she peeks up to the handsome young man above.  “L-loyal.  Friendly.  Vicious at times.  Fiercely protective… but kinda… smelly.”

                The wiry driver offers an absent nod as he arranges the shoulders of his Mistress’ dress for a better fit.  “Then, with the exception of that final item, I’ve received a good name.  And I’ll try hard to earn it.”

                Glancing over her shoulder at the impatient, bearded Knight busily tapping his foot, the golden-follicled girl then issues a soft sigh, and nods an understanding before bringing her attention back around.  “Just… stay safeListen to Gawain.  He might be a boastful laggard at times, but he’s got more experience fighting Daemon than Hilda and I put togetherAnd… i-if he tells you to run, you’d better bloody run.  There’s no use in being a hero if you’re dead, got it?”