Marcus Butler Imagine 5

Christmas lights shined from one tree to the other as the snow fell on the ground and melted away. Couples were holding hands and laughing at a joke the other one said. Dads were cradling their tired child to their nearby car as the moms and the oldest child pointed out different objects. The atmosphere was so happy yet here I was, miserable and holding an invitation that changed my life. I sat down on a bench starring at the park where we met and spent the majority of our time. Thinking of the little memories such as water fights, kisses and sharing food brought tears to my eyes. I thought that coming here would make me forget about the letter, but instead I could feel it burn through my hands. I opened it.

For the last time, I thought.

The crystal white color of the background made me wince as I took out the invitation. A beautiful picture of Julie and her soon-to-be-husband was printed onto the invitation. Her smiled seemed so fake in the picture, almost as if she wasn’t happy. Maybe her smile was only fake when I knew her. Beside the picture was the date of the wedding, June 11th. As I read the date again, I cringed. Julie had told me that she was planning her wedding on that day but I didn’t think she was being realistic. Didn’t she remember that our anniversary fell on that day? The time, location and other unnecessary information was inscribed under the date. At the top of the letter was the title: We Can’t Wait to Hear the Wedding Bells!

No, I thought, I don’t want to hear the wedding bells.

I was putting the invitation back in its envelope, ready to leave on the bench where we met. However another piece of paper fell on my boots. I flipped the paper and noticed the beautiful cursive writing of Y/N.

Dear Marcus,

I wish things would have turned out right for us. I wish you were the boy that will be standing at the other end of the aisle on June 11th but I guess in life, you have to make decisions that are best for your family and yourself. This was my decision. Even though I will love you more than the man I am marrying, he is the better one. He will be able to help me raise a family, he will always be there for me when I am sick or I need him. He won’t be away filming videos with other beautiful girls unlike some people… I’m sorry that I caused you so much instability. I hope that you will be able to find closure after my wedding. I hope that you will be able to find another girl that will love you as much as I do. It will be hard for me to see another girl love you but I guess we will both be in the same situation afterwards.

Promise me that you will show up on June 11th to complete my wedding. After all it’s our anniversary.

Love always,

Julie

Most people would be filled with hatred and be ready to move on after reading such a letter. However it was the opposite for me. The letter made me fall more in love with her. I didn’t want to love someone else if it wasn’t her. Even if she was going to get married, I wouldn’t stop fighting for her. I had until June 11th to prove that I was the man she needed. I would quit my job for her just to prove that I am the one she needs.