The Ball

I sit perfectly still as Claude does my hair. I don't know how he was doing it, considering his large hands are much bigger compared to me, but he does. He was curling my hair. I don't know what to expect from tonight but I am still going to look and listen for whoever that voice belonged to. 

"Alright. You have yet to do your makeup. And the sleeves will cover your cuffs and the cuts on your wrists. The master expects you to look your best tonight, so do your best." Claude says, laying out the makeup palette. 

I look at it and sigh. I'll have to do what I can. "I-I'll try my best Claude. I-I really will." Fear. That's the only thing that showed in my voice, and they love it. 

"And you know how it should be done."

"Y-Yes Claude." I keep my eyes down, looking at the metal cuffs over my sore cuts. I don't look up until I hear the door close, and I am left alone in that butlers room. 

Turning to the makeup pallet, I first make my face look paler than it is. I then add some blush and a light eye shadow. After this, I add a light pink to my lips, then look into the mirror, taking it all in.

The dress was too much pink. I couldn't stand the way I looked. I look like a doll for goodness sake. The lace, the umbrella, the hat, it's all just too much. Why do I have to wear this? And if he wanted my costume to be a doll, why couldn't the dress have been black? Maybe a Gothic doll. Not a pink and frilly one. But, I guess I'm ready.

I let the sleeves fall down, covering my wrists and some of my hands before standing up straight. This corset is way too tight. But if I complain, I get beat. So I just need to keep my mouth shut. "C-Claude, I-I'm done!"

The butler comes back in and looks at me, then smirks. "Just how the master wanted you to look. Let's hope so anyway." He walks over and picks me up harshly, making me wince. "Let's go find out."

"Y-Yes Claude..." I stutter and for some reason feel like calling for someone. But who?! Why must I be put through this?!

He leaves the room and carries me around the halls and down some steps when a maid stops him. "Claude, the master assigned me to take her." Her eyes turn to me, and her gaze was kind and soft.

"Very well then Hannah." I am passed to her harshly and I flinch, but she then pets my ears gently. 

"It's alright little one, you're safe with me. Let's get your hair fixed. Claude didn't do it right, but you'd be blamed. That's probably why he did it wrong." I am placed on a table, and she takes the hat off and redoes my hair before smiling. "There we are."

"Th-Thank you m-miss..." I look down and grab the hat, putting it back on. "Y-You should take me to our master now so that w-we don't get h-hurt..."

"It'll be okay soon though. Someone is coming for you, then it will all be okay." 

"Why are you helping me?"

"Well why not?" She smiles and carries me off to the dining hall again, the master sitting there then looks at Hannah. 

"Why do you have her?! I told Claude to take care of her!" I flinch from his tone and end up burying my face into Hannah's arm, trembling.

"Master, her hair wasn't quite right. I fixed it." She looks at him then looks at me and pets me. "It's okay.."

~Meanwhile....~

Sebastian's P.O.V.

We are in the carriage on the way to the Trancey manor. I had to make sure John stayed in my room, but no amount of anything could describe the anger burning within me at the moment. If they hurt my kitten I will kill them. I will probably kill them anyway. And then I will-

"Sebastian." I am brought from my thoughts by the young master and look at him. 

"Yes master? Forgive me, I was just thinking." I look down, frowning, probably obviously angry if I weren't wearing this mask. 

"You really do love that cat don't you? And now she loves another, yet you want to help her still. Why?"

"Because master. I believe she deserves to be happy, after all the pain this cold world has given her. She deserves someone who won't be returning to hell after they devour a soul. Mary deserves a good life, and I'm afraid being a demon...I can't give that to her no matter how much I want to." Why was I telling him this? I don't know. But all that matters is finding my kitten. I then see the Trancey manor appear on the side of the window of the carriage and can't help but smirk. "Master, do not reveal who you are until I say."

"Why do I have to listen to you? Though it is Alois. So fine." He sighs, straightening his own mask and I help him out of the carriage. I can sense her.

We both head inside and I look around and sigh, but hear a voice above the chatter singing, and look over to the piano, seeing her sitting there with metal cuffs just sticking out with a chain that I look, seeing Claude is holding, but pause to listen to her song.

"I know I can't take one more step towards you, 'Cause all that's waiting is regret. Don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore. You lost the love I loved the most. I learned to live half alive, And now you want me one more time. And who do you think you are? Runnin' 'round leaving scars. Collecting your jar of hearts. And tearing love apart. You're gonna catch a cold, From the ice inside your soul. So don't come back for me...Who do you think you are?"

She sounds so hurt...so lost. She was channeling her emotions into song, and I smile then frown, realizing that this is also what I did. I hurt her after I said I loved her, and she loves another now...but I still have to save her. Eventually Claude left her alone, chained to the piano and I take this chance to go over. "Mary? It's me, Sebastian." I whisper, and she looks up at me.

Her eyes were red as if she'd been crying, but she also had so much makeup on she looked like a doll. "I-I don't know who you are. The master would be terribly angry if I were to talk to a stranger.

How could this be possible? How could she not know me? Could my kitten...really have forgotten?