A Promise

Sebastian's P.O.V.

I watched as she fell asleep on my lap, and I was really feeling a little bit guilty about trying to seduce her like that. She is a very smart kitten indeed. I should be more careful with what I do or say. The master would be angry if she were to find out he put me up to that. Other than that, though, I still feel guilty. 

After a few minutes, I have to get up, but I don't want to disturb her. Very carefully, I lift her up and lay her on the pillow. Her ears twitch a bit, but she doesn't wake up. Thankfully. With a sigh, I leave the room and head to see my master again. 

Before I get there, a loud explosion echoed from the kitchen. "Bard," I growl softly, storming down. I'll chew him out again. This happens way too often. 

Getting to the kitchen, I can see the charred spot on the wall, and half the kitchen is gone...again. "Bard, how many times do I have to say it?! You do not use your explosives on a meal! Now I am going to have to fix this, and breakfast will be delayed tomorrow!"

"Sebastian, come on. I thought it would go quicker." The idiot answers calmly, but his eyes show a twist of fear. Good. That's what I love to see from certain people.

Making myself even more menacing, I glare at him. "Bard, you are going to leave this kitchen, and stay out of it until I tell you," I say in such a calm voice, and this makes him panic.

"Er, y-yes Sebastian." He shuffles quickly out of the kitchen, and I turn my eyes to this mess that I have to clean. I can't have breakfast be delayed, but the master will want me to get him ready for bed. I'll clean it until he calls me.

As soon as I grab the mop and a few cleaners, I take them to the kitchen but am summoned. This wasn't the master, though. Instead, it was a soft voice, and I knew just who. Mary has woken up and is calling me. But she sounds terrified.

Dropping the cleaning supplies, I run to my room and swing the door open to find the kitten hugging her knees, crying heavily on the bed. "Little Miss..?" I murmur, walking over slowly.

She had jumped and looks at me fearfully before relaxing some."S-Sebastian?" She whispers, and I nod, sitting on the bed. I am instantly attacked by her, her hugging my arm tightly. "I-I was scared!"

"I can see that. What happened?" I pet her ears, seeming to calm her a little bit. I don't understand the sudden show of affection, but I guess she was scared and that's it.

"I-it was scary, and its eyes were red, and-" She stops and looks at my eyes for a moment. "Show me the demonic side of them again." 

Raising an eyebrow, I do as told, making them the fuchsia color, the pupils becoming the snake-like slits. Suddenly she backed away and trembled. "Little miss?" I reach out to her, but she backs away more and looks fearful of me. 

"Th-That was it. M-my dream. It was you." The kitten's eyes widen and she almost falls off the bed again, but I catch her just as she slips off.

"There are many demons in the world. How do you know it was me?" I felt a strange ache in my cold heart, seeing her scared of me, but I ignore it and set her back down. "It could have been another demon, now, describe the dream for me." 

"I-I was in a dark room." She begins, obviously hesitant. "And I was alone, or so I thought. I looked down to my hands, and there were handcuffs with chains that a hand was holding. And when I turned and followed the hand, but the rest was in the dark. All I could see were demonic eyes and I guess I just thought it was you." She was trembling again, and I pet her ears as she calms down, eventually leaning against my hand purring.

"That won't happen as long as you are in my care." I scoop her into my hand, holding her close to my chest, not realizing I am doing so until she pokes me.

"What are you doing?" I glance at her and frown, setting her down. "My apologies little miss. I didn't mean to do that."

The kitten nods and lays down, bringing her knees to her chest. Why did it pain me to see that? The whole sympathy thing is supposed to be an act. And it is.

"Sebastian? Can you make me a promise? And you have to promise never to break that promise?" Her voice was serious, and she looks up at me with sad eyes. If I had a heart, it would be breaking. Which I don't!

I hesitate a moment before answering. "I promise. As a demon, I promise to never break what you are going to make me promise. And demons don't break promises."  

"Okay. I want you to promise me. No matter what, you have to protect me. If I am hurt, you take care of me. If I am in danger, you protect me. If I forget you, you make me remember. If I die or leave, you mourn. I don't care if you are a demon. I want to know I will be missed, even if only by you." 

This hit me. I wasn't sure why, or how, but it did. Maybe it was the pleading tone, but many mortals have pleaded with me to live, but it never did anything to me. But this girl. This kitten. She is pleading with me for just one person to remember her, but why does it have to be me?  "Mary, I don't understand. Why do you want it to be me who remembers? I am a demon. I don't care about that." 

"Sebastian, promise me!" She looks at me with pleading eyes as tears ran down her face. "Sebastian, please, I am begging you." 

This dream must have been pretty horrible if she is begging me like this. I haven't seen her like this just yet. But I have barely known her. 

"You keep hesitating. If you don't want to, just say." 

"Mary, I am telling you now. If you die or leave, I will think it was my fault. If you get hurt, it is my fault. If you are in any danger, I will protect you. As a demon, and a..friend..." I take a deep breath.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 "I promise."