Different

"Whatever you want to do, just do it. It can't be worse than what's already happened to me before." I look down.

Before I know it, his hand reaches over, and I cringe a bit until he starts petting my ears, and for some reason, it makes me happier than I have ever been.

"I apologize for my abruptness little miss. I just can't help myself sometimes. Even if you are an only half cat, it is still a wonderful sight." Sebastian sighs and smiles fondly at me, still petting me.

I want to pull away, tell him I am not just a cat again, but I can't. I can't move, I can't speak. What sort of enchantment is this? I am normally only like this when I am scared, but, I am not scared. Closing my eyes, I start to purr, which I have never really done before, and it must have shocked Sebastian too because he stopped and pulled his hand away. "Little miss?"

Opening my eyes, he looks at me smiling almost like a child would, and I try to stop purring, but I am still happy. "Y-Yes?" I manage to get out, and then he reaches his hand back over and continues, my eyes closing again and I continue to purr. If it's cat he wants, then I'll give him a cat.

Still purring, I rub my head against his hand, causing me to purr louder and smile a bit. I force a soft meow to come out and look at him with big eyes, and his smile has never been more kind, nor fonder,  to me than anything or anyone. This man is so...so different. I can't place it, but it helps me trust him a bit more. "You are absolutely adorable." He finally speaks and pulls his hand away.

Sebastian looks down at me and sighs softly. "I apologize again. I simply cannot help myself." He looked away as if embarrassed.

"No. I-it's alright." Stepping a bit closer, I smile to show him it is alright, and he nods, sitting in a chair at the desk and looks over me. 

"I absolutely adore cats." He holds a hand out to me, and I lay a small hand on his finger. He gently puts his thumb over my hand, gently holding it. He is different. So kind and gentle towards me. His smile is always warm to me. Just different. "I mean what I said. Adorable." He holds my hand for a minute before letting go.

I can feel my face heat up, but I don't know why so I look down, hiding my face. "I-I have to thank you then, for thinking that. I never thought I was, but, thanks again." 

"Of course little miss. Now, may I get you something to eat? Or are you fine?" Sebastian looks at me, standing up.

"I do believe I am fine for a little bit here. May I just rest for the night, if that is okay? I am very tired." Sebastian frowns and picks me up gently, carrying me over to the bed and lays me on the pillow.

"Here you are, little miss. You are sharing this room with someone for a bit, but, they do not use it often." This is news to me, but, didn't he already tell me it was his room?

"Oh, who's room is it then?" Something in me flickered, almost panic when he said that, since he had already said who's and maybe he had lied.

"This room is indeed mine, but, do not let that startle you, please. I don't really use it." It seemed sincere, so, I better go with it.

Laying down I curl up on the pillow, wrapping my tail around me. "Don't you need to sleep?" I whisper tiredly. The bed moved a bit, and I look over to see him laying with his head on the other pillow, facing me. 

"Yes..." There was a certain hesitance in his voice to answer, but I try to ignore it and curl up a bit more. "Are you cold little miss?" He whispers to me, and I nod slowly. A few seconds later, a soft cloth is placed over me, and I look at him, seeing the handkerchief that was once in his pocket. 

"Th-Thank you..." I whisper before my eyes close, and I instantly fall asleep.

~Dream/Flashback~

Opening my eyes, I was hoping it was a dream and I was back at home with Emma, asleep beside her on the bed, but instead of nice warm covers, I feel cold hard metal. Sitting up, I frown, this being the second day with this man, whom I have learned his name is Trancy. I cannot believe this has happened.

The door opens, and Trancy walks in smirking at me. "Well, I see the brat has finally opened her pretty purple eyes for me. How old are you anyway? 15? 16?"

"S-seven.." I stutter timidly, and look up at him, shaking from the fear of what this man has in store for me. How could he think I am older than what I really am? 

"Seven?! Then there is nothing much to do with you." He growls angrily at me. But perhaps you could be of use if I get angry sometime." With that, he pounds on top of the cage, making it rattle loudly and leaves the room. 

My stomach growls, my dress is torn, I need something to drink. I am a good person, why does this happen to me? All I want is someone to call a friend...

A few days pass, and the door opens, a maid walking in and cleans up a bit until she sees the cage, with me inside. "Oh, why hello there..." Her voice was soft and gentle like she wouldn't hurt me, and she steps closer to the cage. My instinct kicks in, and I press my back into the bars. "It's alright little one. I will not harm you." She kneels by the cage, holding a hand to it. "My name is Evangeline."

I slowly crawl over to her hand, shaking, and look up at her, timidly. "I-I'm Mary," I whisper, my ears flat to my head. 

"It's a pleasure to meet you little one." She smiles warmly, reaching her finger in and lightly wipes the tears away from my face gently. 

"P-Please, can you bring me something to eat? And possibly drink?" I clutch my stomach, looking up at her.

"You poor dear." Poor dear. Those words remind me of Jess when I first met Emma and her parents, and it makes me panic.

I back up again, pressing myself painfully into the bars, then, she does something unexpected and opens the cage, picking me up. "N-No!" I shout.

"Shh, Mary, let's get you something to eat." Then, the door opens and a gunshot goes off, and I am dropped to the floor, Evangeline laying on the floor with a bullet hole in her heart. 

"Can't have anyone knowing about the brat." Trancy chuckles darkly and looks at me, aiming the gun at me. "Now, get back in your cage."

~End of Dream/Flashback~

I wake up with a scream and sit up, hugging my knees and look around. I look down, then I feel myself be lifted into the air by gentle hands, and I look up at Sebastian's worried face. "Little miss, are you alright?"

______________________________________________________________________

Dream/Flashback means she was dreaming a flashback if that makes sense.