The Earl

I awaken but do not open my eyes. Something was different. I was laying on something soft, which was obviously not the bottom of my box. My tail was curled around me, and I could tell I was on my back. What happened? Then I remember. Sebastian. Falling off the bed. The enormous pain in my side.

"Sebastian, I still don't understand why you brought someone here without my permission first." I don't recognize that voice at all, but it sounds like a boy, although his voice is stern, causing my ears to twitch.

"Forgive me, my lord. For it was raining, and she is so small and helpless. She was scared at first, but now she is hurt, and unconscious. And you know my fondness for cats can get the better of me." Sebastian was speaking so fondly of me. And 'My Lord?' That must be his master then now.

I heard a sneeze, then the boy continued. "And you know I am allergic to cats. She cannot stay. Take her back to wherever she came from when she awakens. Better yet, do it before she awakens. Then she could think it was all a dream." How dare he. Sebastian has been so kind to me. What he just said makes me a little angry.

I open my eyes and look at the two standing beside the bed I am laying on. Trying to sit up, I groan and lay back down, my ears staying glued to my head, and my groan catching their attention. "I-I would never think this was all a dream. H-He has been too kind to me. And I apologize for any inconvenience I have caused you for being half cat." I bring my hand to my side and frown, then look at them.

The boy looks at me, almost in a pure hatred. "I see you eavesdropped. and I am surprised he was kind, considering it is unlike him." He looks back at Sebastian. "It is an order. You will take her back today." 

Eavesdrop? I did no such thing. You were standing in the room right next to me, and that last part caught me off guard, and I whimper quietly and start to play with the end of my tail nervously.

Sebastian bows and glances at me before saying, "Yes, my young lord." He picks me up but was still gentle as to not hurt me. "I apologize little miss."

"B-but you can't take me back. It was cold, I was hungry. It was raining and the box doesn't make a good shelter." I look away from them both to the window, noting it was raining again. "But if your master doesn't want me here, I'll be fine."

Sebastian started walking, then stopped and looked at the boy. "Master, I normally do not question your orders, but, what would you have felt like had someone told you this those years ago? When had you nothing? Like this poor little kitten."

Looking at the boy, his eye that wasn't covered widened a bit at the mention of his past and then he casts a forlorn look at the floor, his hatred seeming to dissipate before sneezing again. "Fine. She can stay until she recovers. I am putting her in your hands, Sebastian. You will care for her, and I will have no part of it." Something must have happened in his past, but I don't want to question it.

I looked up at Sebastian, who was smiling down at me as my ears perk up quite a bit, and I relax a little as well. "I'd be glad to master." He sits down on his bed, and the boy looks at me. 

"I am the Earl Ciel Phantomhive. While you are recovering I want to keep my distance so I am not continuously sneezing. That may sound rude, but, I have to go." He sneezes again, then leaves the room.

Sebastian gently holds me a bit closer to him after the door closes and smiles sadly. "I'm glad you will be able to recover here, but I do not want you to go back when you are healed." 

"I don't either, but I don't want you getting in trouble with your master." I sigh, then look down, trying to get away. "And what did he mean by he was surprised that you were kind? Isn't it in the human nature to feel bad for those who are unfortunate?" At least for most humans.

I felt him tense and set me down on my feet. "I will tell you another time. At the moment, how is your side?" Sebastian reaches a hand out to me, gently touching my side, and it still hurts a bit.

Pushing his hand away, I look up at him. "It still hurts a bit. But I feel it should be fine in a few days." Why am I so hungry all of the sudden? And so tired if I was asleep?

"It has been a few days. You were unconscious for two days. It had me a bit worried there little miss." He rubs my ears, gently petting the back of my head as well. 

Happy that he was worried, I look at him and smile. "If it was two days, why does it still hurt? And that would explain why I am hungrier than I should be." 

"See, I thought about that." He smiles down at me, pulling a small plate around with a bit of still warm salmon on it. "Here you are little miss." Setting it down, he laces his fingers together, watching me curiously.

Fish. A stereotype really, that all cats love fish. I like it, just not all the time, and after a bunch of rotten ones, this may be a step up. "Thank you, sir." I look up at him and smile polity and thankfully, before eating slowly. 

Wonderful. That was the only word that went through my head as the sweetness from the fish exploded in my mouth. The texture was rough but smooth. It was just...wonderful. I look down because I know his eyes are still on me. 

"I hope it is to your liking miss. Also, you don't have to call me sir. Call my master sir, and just call me Sebastian." He tilts my head up to him with a finger, and a piece of the salmon goes right down my throat, causing me to cough, my ears flattening to my head.

I cough a few minutes while Sebastian rubs my back, apologizing more times than I could count. "Sebastian, for possibly the thousandth time," I manage to get out, "It's alright. I'm fine."

 "But I truly am sorry little miss. I should have taken into consideration that you were still chewing." He chuckles softly and sighs sadly.

"I'm fine...really." I smile softly and look up at him, then finish eating.

"Oh, by the way, I may want you to stay in here for a little while today and tomorrow, considering the Lady Elizabeth will be here."

"Why would I have to stay in here? Is she a bad person that would hurt me?"

"No, not at all. She is a kind soul, who is very excitable. I'll just keep you in here if that is fine."

"But I would want to meet her." Just as I said those words, I knew I would regret it after I heard the high pitched squeal from far down the halls. 

"Ciel! Ciel Ciel!"