I Think I Love You Better Now

Trying to update as often as I can because, sadly, I have school next week, and I have no idea how much free time I will have to write! 😭

Chapter 41:

NIALL

I felt like I was soaring through the sky! Everything just felt so good in life, and I was finally happy. My mum was getting the help she deserved, my best friend was finally just my best friend and he was happy, which made me happy, and I had the best boyfriend ever- someone who finally liked me back. Someone who I think I think I was falling in love with.

I walked into the hospital, signing in before going to my mum's room, walking down the familiar halls and feeling excited to tell my mum how incredible Erik was. I just wanted to gush about everything- I was overflowing with happiness and it was incredible!

However, I grew worried and confused as I walked to my mum's room, seeing a nurse come out with a needle that was empty. She looked at me as she set it down on a cart and said "The doctor will call you into the room and explain everything in a few minutes. Don't worry. Your mum is in good hands." She said, giving me a sympathetic smile, but how could I not worry? I had no clue what was going on!

What was the needle for? She didn't have anything scheduled today, so why would she need a shot of any kind? In my mind, I could only think of negatives. I could only think of the possibility that something happened to my mum, something bad.

I stood there in anticipation, tapping my foot on the floor and pacing around every now and then until I heard the click of the door opening up. My head instantly snapped up to see a different doctor than Erik. Now I was really worried. Where was he?

"Um, where's Dr. Rhys?" I questioned, rubbing my hands together in nervousness. I was freaking out on the inside, and I could tell the doctor was trying to calm me down, but Erik was really the only one who could get me to calm down.

"Dr. Rhys is busy with an other patient, so I had to step in here. I'm Dr. Cooper, and there is no need to feel so worried, Mr. Horan. Your mum is doing fine." He said, opening the door again and motioning for me to follow him inside.

I looked around the hall, feeling nervous and terrified to even take a step into the room. Something felt off, and the fact that Erik wasn't here to calm me down only made it worse. Still, I finally walked into the room, seeing my mum laying there, completely knocked out. Her head scarf was laying beside her, and I saw that massive parts of her hair were missing and thinning away.

"What happened?" I asked, my voice sounding so distant in this moment. I was worried sick, and I felt like none of this was happening. Like it was an illusion or a bad dream. Like I would wake up at any second, and everything would be fine.

"Your mum's pain was worsening. The medication did nothing for her, so we had to give her a way to not feel anything. She'll be asleep for awhile while we up her medication. The chemo is also seeming to be failing." He said, and those words made my heart stop in my chest.

"F-failing? What do you mean failing?" I asked, basically breathing out my words now. All of this was getting to me, and I felt like I was hyperventilating. I didn't want to hear this. It was actually one of the last things I didn't want to hear.

"It wasn't taking action like it was suppose to. We can up the dosage and try again, but if that doesn't work, then there's nothing much else we can do but keep her monitored." He said, speaking calmly, but it still didn't help. I was internally freaking out, and I felt like breaking down. But not here. Not in front of this doctor.

"Sorry for this. You can have some time with your mum now." He said, patting my back in support before leaving. As soon as I heard the door click shut, I was crumbling to pieces. I made it to her hospital bed, grabbing onto the side before falling to my knees and crying, thick and warm tears dripping to the ground.